H2G2 Storytime III: Prologue Part III

0 Conversations

Antarctica, 1912.



Midnight.
The sun was still up. It never went down, hovering just beyond a thick cover of cloud bringing neither warmth nor light; only a perpetual gloom of twilight stretched out over the sea and reflected in the ice. Lending to the landscape a torpor of seduction and death.

Watch your step.

A figure wreathed in a woollen hat and gloves and a coat too thin for the climate appeared above the skyline of an icy ridge and surveyed the landscape.

Below, tent flaps and tarpaulins whipped about audibly in the bitter wind that whipped through the camp.

Satisfied the coast was clear, the figure swung over the side and skidded down the slow incline of the ice, disappearing behind some stacking crates awaiting loading onto the morning sleds.

Brushing himself off the figure tiptoed over to the paddock where the ponies where kept, the noise of the wind kept the sounds of his footfalls masked as he had hoped.

The figure unpegged the gate and slipped inside - the beasts whinnied in alarm and distress, placing his hand carefully aside the muzzle of one the figure whispered softly

"There, there Christopher - it's only me. Shhhh."

The pony ceased its distress as if in conscious recognition of the man's soothing words.

The man took his reigns and led him carefully and a trot out of the paddock.

Outside the wind had died down. The man turned his head as he emerged for he could here voices from within the nearest tent.

The voices of his former fellows - all of them subject to his deception - where discussing him.

"'e got my 'and he did."

'That was Evans' the figure thought. 'He tried to grab me yesterday caught me trying to steal a sled.'

"I think me fingers is turnin' black" came the plaintive cry.

'Poor devil he'd likely not last this far from home.' thought the man with a touch of regret.

Then a new voice pierced the silent night a course and angry voice. "Oates must not escape alive!"

'Scott. He's been watching me since the start.' Captain Oates looked up at the looming peak of Mount Erubus and resolved to leave.

Just then, Christopher, beast that he was, whinnied.

"That came from outside the tent!", the cry came from within.

'Curses! I'm discovered!'

Scott emerged, Oates caught sight of the sigil he bore around his neck glimmering in the half-light, "you shan't escape this time!" Scott sneered.

"I can certainly try!" Oates cried leaping onboard Christopher and galloped out of the camp making for the coast.


Scott kept a record of his hunt for Oates in his journal to be delivered to The Master on account of Oates death.

~ We are reduced now to but four in number. I was the first to reach the poor man and found him on his knees, his clothing disarranged and a wild look in his eyes. Wilson, Bowers and I went back for a sledge. When we got him to the tent, he was quite unconscious and died quietly at 12:30am.


'Sleep does not come to me' Captain Oates thought sourly as he camped for the night in a bivouac and hauled in more sheets about him.

Outside he heard simultaneously Christopher whinny and a crunch of a footfall on snow.

Whether by luck or instinct Oates rolled from under the tent and avoided Evans's clumsy attempt to capture him.

"Evans don't be a fool!" Oates said standing up

"The Boss says you know too much."

"That I do." Oates aid backing away toward Christopher.

"And that I gots ta find ya and take yers back to him."

"You can try"

"And that if you's puts up any funny stuff I'm obliged to 'it you."

Oates pressed his back up against Christopher the sides heaving with each breath.

"Alright I give in!" Oates said raising his arms in the air...

"That's a good Gentleman, I knew you'd see sen - arrgh!"

…and reached up into the saddle bags and closed his fist around the handle of a cast-iron frying pan and bought it vigorously down on top of Evan's head with a crack.

"owwwwwwwww! dat' 'urt!" Evans staggered backward clutching his temple and brow.

Oates seized this moment of confusion and tore off Evan's heavy overcoat and shawl leaving him bedraggled and exposed to the elements.

"I c-c-can't s-s-s-eee" Evan's complained still holding his head.

Oates commandeered the dying man's belongings left him in the frozen wasteland to die and road Christopher ever further north.


~ I will tell the others Evan's fell into a crevasse - that I escaped uninjured but he incurred a concussion. To tell them that Oates has escaped would sap them of what little will remains them. One can only say "God help us" and plod on our way, cold and very miserable though outwardly cheerful.
Tuesday.
~ Finally cornered Oates. Here follows an account of his death. Oates took pride in thinking that his regiment would be pleased with the bold way in which he had met his death. He did not - he would not - give up hope to the very end. Fool.



Scott descended from the sled behind a small ridge of ice and snow. The frozen corpse of the pony, which had been ridden to death, he'd encountered a mile back and the clumsy set of footprints weaving in this direction had led him to this ice shelf.

Taking from the sled his weapon, Scott ascended.

"Hold fast - traitorous worm!"

Oates froze in his tracks and slowly turned around his arms clutched to his chest to ward of the cold.

"I said that you would not escape."

"And I believe I said I would try."

"Then you have failed"

"If you say so. I am far more sanguine on the matter."

Scott brandished the harpoon he brought with him on the dog sled.

"You will die here."

"So will you. We are too many miles distant from either the coast or you beloved cult. If I have succeeded in but one thing, it is that my flight has drawn you out this far from safety that you will die here along with me. I take some measure of pride in knowing that my work is complete and my life, though it ends, has been dedicated to supporting the forces of good in this world. As such, I was dispatched from London with these specific instructions to join you and your comrades and to report on your dealings here in this wasteland. Rest assured all of my knowledge has already been passed on. My regiment would be proud to know I died a hero's death."

"Your confidence is ill-judged." said Scott. "I'm going to shoot you with this harpoon and the cult will someday rule the Earth though you will not live you see it."

"That is indeed a blessing" said Oates bowing.

"Don't you see there's no hope?" asked Scott

"There is always hope." Oates replied. "So shoot me if you will, in the back like all cowards must." and turned to leave. "I am going on and I may be some time."

Scott let him walk a few paces before the rage returned and without hesitation ran him through with the harpoon bolt; a shot, which carried Oates, forward several feet into a drift where he shortly expired.


Wednesday.
~ Seeking to return to Mount Erubus - an unholy blizzard has descended impeding our progress. We are short on supplies - our injuries make progress difficult.

~ Curse Oates and his prescience!


~ Got within 11 miles of our base Friday night but had to lie up all day yesterday in severe blizzard. Today forlorn hope.

Sunday, I think.
~ Blizzard as bad as ever - Wilson and Bowers unable to start - only one ration of food left - we must be near the end.

Date Unknown.
~ We have had continuous gale. Every day we have been ready to start for our Home only 11 miles away, but outside the tent remains a whirling drift. We shall stick it out to the end but we are getting weaker and the end cannot be far.

~ It seems a pity but I do not think I can write more.

Final Entry.
~ For God's sake look after our people.

~ R. Scott.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A13263437

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more