Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

8 Conversations

Pittsburgh is a city in the state of Pennsylvania, USA with a population of just over 300,000.

Nestled in a labyrinth of convoluted hills, the city plays geographical hopscotch with the Ohio, Allegheny and the Monongahela rivers. With over 700 bridges and many more tunnels, driving in Pittsburgh is like a rollercoaster ride in a rabbit warren. Travel is, however, surprisingly easy (if not literally straightforward).

Well known for its steel production and the film Flashdance, Pittsburgh is also home to the Pittsburgh Steelers, an American football franchise and the Pittsburgh Pirates, a baseball team; the Phipps Conservatory, a palace of horticulture; and Andy Warhol, an icon of Pop culture.

Visitors with gloomy preconceptions about post-industrial steel towns will be pleasantly surprised by the general cheeriness of the city and the affable goodwill of the local people.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A134722

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more