Mad Anthony's Ghost

0 Conversations

Nicknamed "Mad Anthony" by his troops for his fearlessness and quick temper, Gen. Anthony Wayne of Radnor, Chester County, was one of the best tactical commanders of the American armed forces during the American Revolution.

He survived the war and died Dec. 15, 1796 in Erie while enroute home from fighting Indians in Michigan. In accordance with is last wishes, he was buried beneath the blockhouse on Presque Isle. Thirteen years later, his son Isaac went to Erie to dig up the body and take it home for reburial in the family plot in Radnor.

The people in Erie didn't want to have the body taken away so they compromised and called in Dr. James Wallace, who separated the bones from the flesh in a large vat. The general's flesh and clothing were reburied beneath the blockhouse and Isaac put the bones on a wagon and made the long journey home.

On the bumpy road, legend has it that some of the bones fell out of the wagon, so when they put the general's remains into the grave at St. David's Churchyard in Chester County some of his bones lay along the 385 mile trail that is today U.S. Route 322. Every New Year's morning, which is the general's birthday, his ghost rises from the grave and gallops from St. David's and back in search of his bones.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A160949

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more