Toe Nails Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Toe Nails

6 Conversations

Two toes against a black background

These are the horny appendages that grace the extremities of people's toes, as opposed to fingernails which can be found on the ends of people's fingers. They are made from a form of skin containing keratin, a hardening protein.

They allow people to put pressure on their feet while walking. They are also good for picking while watching TV late at night; which can sometimes be a hazardous activity if the toenails belong to a person with bad circulation or diabetes, as infection can set in, and ultimately cause the toes to drop off, along with the toe nails - if gangrene sets in. It is very important that diabetics look after their feet and may make visits to a chiropodist1.

Toe nails often have different appearances:

  • Some toe nails are yellow and crumbly, which may indicate a fungal infection is present in them.

  • Others are nice and brightly painted, having a decorative effect. Sparkly nail polish is best, for making them look pretty.

  • Still others are long, very long as their owners are adverse to cutting them for years at a time.

1A person who treats diseases of the feet.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A223750

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more