High Altitude Sickness Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

High Altitude Sickness

1 Conversation

High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) is less common than High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE), but it tends to be even more deadly. A baffling ailment, HACE occurs when fluid leaks from oxygen-starved cerebral blood vessels, causing severe swelling of the brain, and it can strike with little or no warning. As pressure builds inside the skull, motor and mental skills deteriorate with alarming speed - typically within a few hours or less - and often without the victim even noticing the change. The next step is coma, and then, unless the afflicted party is quickly evacuated to lower altitude, death.

Mainly a problem for high altitude mountaineers, they represent the most severe incarnations of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) which, in its moderate form, causes headache, nausea, disturbed sleep, fatigue, shortness of breath, malaise, dizziness, loss of appetite and poor sleep patterns.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A307207

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more