'Spaceballs' - the Film Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

'Spaceballs' - the Film

5 Conversations

Spaceballs is a spoof film by Mel Brooks, based on the Star Wars Trilogy1.

The Plot

The evil Spaceballs have foolishly used up all the fresh air on Planet Spaceball. Under the orders of President Scroob, Dark Helmet kidnaps the princess of the neighbouring planet Druidia, in order to use her as ransom for planet Druidia's air.

Enter Lone Starr, the hero of the film, with his sidekick, Barf (short for Barfolomew). Together, they brave the evil wrath of the Spaceballs to rescue Princess Vespa (and her droid, Dot Matrix), 'for a *#@% load of money!' However, as fate would have it, Dark Helmet has already forced the access code for the planet's force field out of the Druish King. Meanwhile, Lone Starr, Barf, Princess Vespa and Dot Matrix have crash-landed on a planet which is mainly desert. Here Lone Starr learns the ways of the 'Schwartz' and all four of the team return to help Lone Starr face Dark Helmet 'for the first time, for the last time, for the first time' and destroy his ship, Spaceball 1.

The Cast of Characters

The list below contains the names of the characters, followed by their equivalent in Star Wars, and then the name of the actors who played them.

  • Lone Starr - based on Luke Skywalker/Han Solo, played by Bill Pullman (Independence Day, Disclosure)

  • Barf - based on Chewbacca, played by John Candy (Splash, Home Alone, Canadian Bacon)

  • Yogurt/President Scroob - based on Yoda/Emperor Palpatine, played by Mel Brooks (Robin Hood, Men in Tights, History of the World: Part One)

  • Dark Helmet - based on Darth Vader, played by Rick Moranis (Ghostbusters I and II, Little Shop of Horrors, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Honey, I Blew up The Baby)

  • Princess Vespa - based on Princess Leia, played by Daphne Zuniga

  • King Roland - played by Dick Van Patten

  • Dot Matrix - based on C3PO, voice by Joan Rivers

1The film also 'spoofs' Star Trek, Alien, Planet of the Apes, an advert for Wrigley's Doublemint and the book, The Metamorphosis.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A307261

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more