The Ithaca Commons, New York, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Ithaca Commons, New York, USA

1 Conversation

One of the more interesting locations in Ithaca, New York is the Ithaca Commons. The Commons, in the most simple of terms, is an outdoor mall. However, it has become a community, and in some instances, a lifestyle unto itself. Originally it was a road passing between several store fronts. However, it was determined that Ithaca needed more of a central hub that brought the community together. So the road was blocked off and filed in with cement. Trees, benches, and little sculptures and pavilions were added as time went on. After this initial period of construction the store fronts in the area began to thrive, their business increasing greatly. People from all over the town gathered here to shop, to speak with one another, and to sit outdoors and enjoy some food from one of the many eateries. Originally even the Farmer's Market was located here. The way this location was set up allowed for the development of many small, locally-owned specialist shops to set up their businesses here. Curious passers-by and window shoppers soon had their favorites and became loyal customers. Ithaca, which has always had an apprehension towards big business, embraced this idea of locally-owned goods wholeheartedly.

Over time, as in any place, changes occurred. The Farmer's Market moved out and was replaced by 'Center Ithaca' which was a collection of eateries and some small stores in an indoor environment. Some stores went out of business and new stores moved in. The McDonald's located here actually shut down due to lack of business (thus showing sometimes the little guy can win). The group of high school-aged people began growing and took over the pavilion and other areas as their impromptu hangouts. It was during this time that other people stopped coming to the Commons because they felt it was turning into something else undesirable. There were tales of increased crime, but none of these were true. Though the people hanging out there certainly were different from the average citizen, they didn't pose any more or less of a threat than anyone else. They were doing simply what the Commons was intended to do, creating a community. Of course it was during this time that businesses began losing money, and the Commons fell into decay.

Recently work has been underway to improve the business there, and people, not as fearful of the kids who made this place their home, have begun to return. The attractiveness of an outdoor mall during nice weather is a great pull that many find irresistible. Stores are again showing signs of life. The most recent addition was the 'Planet Walk'. It was created as a memorial to Carl Sagan1. The planets were laid out, in scale, starting with the sun in the heart of the Commons, and working its way outward to Pluto, a few miles away at the local science centre.

1Famous astronomer, theorist, and Ithacan.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Edited Entry

A353107

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more