Jackson Hole, WY

2 Conversations

One of the most beautiful places in the world. Its surrounded by National Forests, the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park is 50 miles north, and the largest National Elk Refuge runs right up against town. This appropriately stagnates all expansion of development upon the land, therefore preserving the beauty for everyone to see (as of 2005). The town consists of 8,000 to 10,000 people depending on if you count the summer home owners. In the summer time, 40,000 people make their way through the one-highway town every day to reach yellowstone or any of the other vacation-oriented locations surrounding the area.

The Teton Village (located 10 miles north of town) is a ski resort known for its world-renowned variety of terrain along with the surrounding backcountry. Ticket prices are steep, along with parking fees, but carpooling is free (3 or more) and the attendants of the parking lots and the lifts have been known to 'barter'... This isn't the only ski resort in the U.S. where bartering still exists, illegal or not.

Night life consists of drinking, drinking, and more drinking. Its also a filthy rich area, infested with trust fund babies and Illuminati types... along with people who enjoy the isolation, outdoors, the skiing, and all the other wonderful stuff that people love and hate about mountain towns in the middle of nowhere.

So if its summer, bring a jacket, a sleeping bag and a tent with a rain cover rather than getting a hotel (very expensive) as the camping is close, convenient, and well worth it. Trailheads for hiking, backpacking, and horseback are located in the immediate surroundings of town. If its winter, bring lots of money or prearrange a job and a warm place to stay, because it gets REALLY cold.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3902069

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more