National Road, USA

1 Conversation


The National road was the first major federal response to the demand for westward travel. It connected the end of the Baltimore Turnpike (in Cumberland) to the town of Wheeling, West Virginia. in Wheeling, travelers could board riverboats on the Ohio River to head west.



Planning for the road began in 1806, and contracts were granted in 1811. The war of 1812 delayed construction and work was not started until 1815. Three years later, in
1818, the road reached Wheeling.



Westerners wanted the road to be extended more westward, but easterners had no interest of westward travelling, and the southerners were more concerned, at the time, with state level government and not federal.



In 1824, Kentuckian Henry Clay proposed the American System. The American System was a combination of protective tarrifs and internal improvements intended to strengthen the domestc network of industry and trade. Due to Clay's efforts, the National Road was extended westward to Columbus, Ohio in 1833.



The road continued to move westward and reached Vandalia, Illinois in 1850. Before the road could reach St. Loius (its intended destination) railroad construction became the new national priority. The road lost importance through the years until automobile travel became popular, and it was brought it back as part of U.S. Route 40.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A427538

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more