Field of Dreams

1 Conversation

"Field Of Dreams" is a wonderful 1989 film set in Iowa. It stars Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, Ray Liotta, Burt Lancaster and James Earl Jones1.

At first glance it appears to be a film about baseball, like other Costner films e.g. "Bull Durham" and "For the Love of The Game", but it is really a film about following our dreams to avoid them becoming unfulfilled.

The storyline follows farmer Ray Kinsella (Costner) who after hearing a voice while out in his corn, ploughs up the field and builds a baseball diamond. The ghost of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson then returns to play ball on the field, bringing along with him the other members of the Chicago "Blacksox" that were banned for throwing the 1919 World Series.

As the film progresses, Kinsella and his wife (played by Madigan) plunge into financial crisis and have to decide whether to keep the field and risk losing the farm, or give up their dream.



The ending eventually brings us back to where the film begins and you either love this film or hate it. To some it's the Eighties equivalent of Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life"2 for its nostalgic, but sad feel, while to others it's schmaltzy and sickening.

Classic quotes

  • "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa"
  • "If you build it, he will come"
  • "Go the distance"
  • "Oh, people will come Ray. People will most definitely come"
1He was the voice of Darth Vader in the "Star Wars" films2Although not if you couldn't stand that film either!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A487154

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more