h2g2 Post 21.02.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 21st February 2000

This week we bid a fond farewell to Schulz.

We received quite a few tributes, and have bundled them all together for you to read. The Wowbagger cartoon is also dedicated to the Peanuts strip... can you spot the join?

Cruising around the web I found the first online, high-level, chess tournament, hosted by Garry Kasparov. The format consisted of 16 players taking part in a knock-out, with 2-game matches and a time limit of 1 hour for all the moves. Players had to partake from wherever they were in the world, supervised by an arbiter.

The competitors included the 2 top English Grandmasters; Adams and Short, Kasparov himself, and a strong computer programme written by 2 Israeli programmers; Deep Junior. The surprise is that a Dutchman, Jeroen Piket, has defeated both Morozevich and Svidler and will now face Kasparov himself to decide the overall tournament winner.

It's that time of the year again! Here, in England, we prepare for another evening of excrutiating music and lyrics as we are asked to vote for our 'Song for Europe 2000' The only thing worse then having to sit through the entertainment is spending the night with Terry Wogan, who tries to be funny, but ends up being
embarassing.

I recommend, to those of you who have the luck to be able to watch the actual 'Eurovosion Song Contest', that you turn the sound down and the subtitles on! I had the luck one year to catch a drunken inputter who couldn't manage to translate any words correctly except La, la, la, la, la and wo, wo, wo, wo, wo! I haven't laughed so much in years!

.

shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • Here she is, the Assistant Editor, Anna.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems, therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless. Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • h2g2 Life



  • The hazards of wanting to upgrade your computer.

  • Scandal for the Mayor?

  • More on the once missing, now mostly returned,

    mystery was solved, case opened again, solved,

    criminal forgiven, case closed, case open once more fish.

  • Week In, Week Out



  • A cynical look at current affairs brought to us by an h2g2 researcher.

  • New Subs and ACEs


  • Have you applied to be a Sub Editor or an ACE? Want to hear what's happening about it?

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles. Whether you're
    writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling, grammar
    or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read
    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A502912

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more