Haunts for Homesick Brits, New York City, USA (under construction)

5 Conversations

New York has a fairly large population of British residents, staying for months and even years. Despite the fact that New York is a fairly cosmopolitan city, even the most seasoned globe-trotter may find themselves nostalgic for home. This article highlights some of the more popular haunts for homesick Brits in Manhattan.

Tea and Sympathy

Tea and Sympathy is a small British restaurant located in the West Village on Greenwich Avenue between Sixth and Seventh Avenues. It is simply one of the best places to go for a proper cup of tea, although it can be quite crowded on cold and bleak days (no reservations are ever taken). The restaurant also serves traditional British fare, such as Shepherd's Pie or Bangers and Mash (with Heinz baked beans), as well as other beverages (eg, Lucozade, Ribena) generally unavailable in the States. As a result, it has become very popular among the British expat community and other Anglophiles in New York. The restaurant also has a takeway shop next door (Carry On Tea and Sympathy), which sells certain menu items, tea accessories, and a few other British sundries. The owners also have also recently opened a chippie with the groan-inducing name A Salt and Battery. It has the distinction of being the only place in Manhattan where one can get a deep-fried Mars bar.

Myers of Keswick

Located on Hudson Street in the West Village, Myers of Keswick is a shop specializing in many British goods. This cramped grocery has probably the largest selection of distinctly British foods for sale (no produce is available, just cans and boxes and Cadbury bars). The selection of candy available before Easter is truly impressive. They also sell sausage and meat pies for the hungry. There is even a fridge stocked with various British soft drinks for sale, making it probably the only source for a Black Currant Tango in New York. Tired shoppers can also have a seat and read through yesterday's issues of the British papers.

Telephone Bar and Grill

Located on Avenue A in the East Village, the cuisine of this restaurant is easily guessed by the three British telephone booths on the front. [I've actually never eaten here, but would appreciate feedback from somebody who has] The bodega1 across the street is also worth visiting, as it stocks many popular British candy bars.

Places to Drink and Watch Football

Anyone?

1Derived from the Spanish for "warehouse", bodega is the common term for the late-night convenience markets that dot Manhattan.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A514252

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more