Colours of Wildlife: The Lanner Falcon

1 Conversation

The Return of The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours ... but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Lanner Falcon

A falcon perched on a branch, gazing over its shoulder.

A Lanner Falcon, Falco biarmicus. These falcons are widespread, occuring not only over most of sub-Saharan Africa, but also in southern Europe and parts of Asia. Though apparently declining in Europe, they are still common over much of their African range. They hunt in open savannah country, their prey being mainly birds. They are among our largest falcons, with a wingspan that can be over a metre .

This is an acrylic painting of an individual I photographed in the Potgietersrus Game Breeding Centre, where many orphaned, sick or injured raptors are kept and rehabilitated, if possible.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

The Return of The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase!!!

23.08.10 Front Page

09.07.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A53937624

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more