The Nields - the Band Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Nields - the Band

1 Conversation

The Nields are a folk-rock group, founded in the late 1980s on the east coast of the United States and making wonderful music ever since. They began as a trio:

  • Nerissa Nields - guitar, vocals
  • Katryna - (Nerissa'a sister) - vocals
  • David - (Nerissa's husband) - guitar, vocals

David changed his surname when he and Nerissa married, as he had been David Jones and had had enough Davey Jones jokes to last a lifetime. They were joined in the early 1990s by two more Daves: Dave Chalfant on bass and Dave Hower on drums. So there are three people named David and three people named Nields, and it's only a five-piece band. Dave Chalfant and Katryna Nields got married in 1999. Got that? If all this confuses you, don't panic; the important element is the music they produce. With songs primarily written by Nerissa and David Nields they explore the wide spectrum of styles encompassed in that awkward term 'folk-rock'. They have songs that are more traditionally folky, some that lean more towards the grunge-punk end of the spectrum, and some that defy description. Nerissa and Katryna's vocal blend may draw cursory comparison to the Indigo Girls, but closer inspection reveals them to be marching to a beat distinctively their own. Their fans are devoted and demonstrative, so don't be surprised if a chance mention of The Nields brings the ardent gleam of the proselytizer to someone's eyes. Just keep your ears and mind open, and wonderful things will happen.

Discography

  • 66 Hoxsey Street (self-released, 1992) - Their only album as a trio. Highlights include one of their best songs ever, 'The King Is Falling,' a song that is appropriate during every election season, and the admirably goofy 'Superhero Soup'.

  • Live At The Iron Horse (self-released, 1993) - A live recording of a concert that shows the full range of the trio's creativity. The highlight is a one-two punch of new songs: 'Just Like Christopher Columbus', followed by the sadly beautiful 'Sweet Holy Grail'. The latter is one of many fine character studies they have written.

  • Bob on the Ceiling (self-released, 1994) - Their first with the full band. Another excellent character study, 'James', contrasts well with the ever-darkening 'Boys Will Be Boys', one of the few songs where David Nields sings the lead vocal.

  • Abigail (self-released, 1995) - A five-song EP, featuring 'Alfred Hitchcock', a riotous paean to the famed film director.

  • Gotta Get Over Greta (Razor & Tie, 1996) - Their first album for a professional recording company features the title track, about a vampiric friendship, and 'I Need A Doctor', which is pretty self-explanatory.

  • Gotta Get Over Greta (Guardian EMI, 1997) - Guardian signed The Nields and produced this new version of Greta, with slightly different design and two new tracks. Unfortunately, Guardian ceased to exist in a major shakeup at EMI, thus leaving The Nields without a contract.

  • Mousse (self-produced, 1998) - A collection of demos and alternate versions that nonetheless holds together well. Especially good are 'Cary', another character study, and 'Living It Up in the Garden', a song for dancing around on grass and enjoying life.

  • Play (Zoe/Rounder, 1999) - Their first album on Zoe records, a subsidiary of the long-established folk label Rounder. The first track, 'Easy People', has become an anthem for Nields fans. The darkly poignant 'Snowman,' inspired by a Wallace Stevens poem, is unforgettable.

  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now (Zoe/Rounder, 2000) - A more Beatle-esque effort, with friends helping out on horns, strings, keyboards and various other instruments. Another fan anthem, 'I Still Believe in My Friends', closes the disc. Early on, 'This Town is Wrong' catches the ear and does not let go.

For more information and updates, visit The Nields' Website.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A583328

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more