The Basotho Hat Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Basotho Hat

0 Conversations

A smiling person wearing a Basotho hat.

Protection Against the Sun

A Basotho hat is a piece of headgear made from straw and of roughly conical shape. It is topped by a complicated knot about 5 centimetres in diameter. Basotho means 'people of Lesotho'.

Symbol of a Nation

The Basotho hat is the national emblem of the Kingdom of Lesotho, a country entirely within the borders of South Africa. It appeared on the previous national flag but was replaced when the flag changed in the early 1990s. It still features on most logos of Lesotho-based organisations.

The common belief is that the shape of the hat was inspired by the shape of one of the mountains visible from Thaba Tseka, which itself was the mountain fortress that was key to the establishment of the Kingdom of Lesotho.

Navigational Aid

In Maseru, the capital of Lesotho, stands a large building whose roof has been thatched to resemble a Basotho hat. As well as housing the tourist goods shop, this building serves as a universal point of reference for any directions in Maseru.

The hut was destroyed in the looting of 1998, but a body of concerned (and presumably lost) local residents raised the funds to rebuild it. It was reopened in January 2001.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A644609

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more