Goshen, Connecticut USA

6 Conversations

The Town

The Center of Town

Contrary to many towns in the US, Goshen does not have a town center defined by shoppes. Rather, the center of Goshen is defined by an intersection.

The Intersection

There are no stop lights in Goshen, instead there is a Roundabout that is approximatly 15 feet* in diameter. The town put in the rotary because there had been multiple accidents at that particular 4 way intersection* and the town did not want to have a traffic light*

North from The Intersection

North from The Intersection there are a few places of notable consequence. Firstly, there is the school and along with that the town hall and the public library. All of these are in the same building. Then after them, there is a Church and a graveyard to go with it. Then some more houses and another Church.* Then more houses, a Schoolbus Company and a blacksmith shop. There basically ends the interesting part of the north end of goshen. The library recently moved over to bar codes on its books and we now have bar codes on our libray cards. They now have Two computers with internet connection and are on the web. Awhile back there was a fire in the library and it took the whole library down. It has since been rebuilt, but if you look at the stuffed animals you can take out, there is a small black and white cow that has scorch marks on it.

West from The Intersection

West from The Intersection there is a small conglomeration of shoppes. In that conglomeration there is a post office, AJ's Steak and Pizza, Goshen Wine Cellar, and a small general store. after the shoppes, there is a graveyard and far down the road is a nursery, an oil distributer, and the Goshen Volunteer Fire Dept. there ends the interesting part from the West end.

South from The Intersection

South from The Intersection there are a few places of importance. Closest to the rotary there is a church and immediatly next on the other side of the street is a small red store which is in the process of going out of buisness. Everything is 30% off and some things are marked down even more. Going away from The Intersection there are a few houses, but not many. There is a small library/bookshop called the bird and angler's bookshelf. I personally have never been in it but it looks very interesting. After that there are more houses and one that is interesting. It has a stone wall in front and a barn with a hay loft. The reason this is interesting is because this house is less than one eighth of a mile from The Intersection. Then there is a fairground. It is called the Goshen Fairgrounds. There are many festivals and fairs that utilize it. The most important one for Goshen being the Goshen Agricultural Fair which happens on Labour Day. There are others such as the Scottish Festival, and there is an Antique Car Show, a Horse Show, and many others. The Street we are currently talking about arrives in the Center of Litchfield, CT in approximately 10 minutes from The Intersection. Litchfield is for another time and there is nothing else interesting on the South Side.

East from The Intersection

On the East side of The Intersection there are a few things which may be of interest to you. Firstly as you go down the hill towards the East, you come to a shopping center. One may think from me calling it a "shopping center" that it is large, has many stores, and that it is well used, it is contrary to all of these. The center consists of one grocery store, a bank, a breakfast place, a hair salon, and some not widely known about appartments above the grocery store. The Grocery store has changed possesion and name more than 4 times in the past 8 years and has bad food. I cannot think there is a use for it besides giving teens jobs, with two towns within 15 minutes, no-one would want to go to this place, no way. Torrington savings bank is a nice place and i know a few people that work there. But it is not extraordinary. The hair salon gets good patronage and cuts hair well, so is you happen to be in town go visit. The Breakfast place does not have a reputation for good food though, and there used to be a video store next to it, but they went out of buisness.

Points of Interest


Some Points of Interest and directions to them* are:
The Goshen Cemetary
Go west from the rotary and past the post office, it is on your right.
Goshen Public Library
Go north from the rotary about a quarter of a mile and enter in the second drive on your right that goes into the only large group of buildings together. Enter the door on top of the steps.
Goshen Public School
Do the same as for the library, but enter the door inside the small courtyard
Goshen Town Hall
Follow the same as for the library, but enter the drive immediatly before the one to the library
Litchfield
Go south from the rotary approximately ten miles. Follow the main road.
Torrington
Go east from the rotary for 15 miles and stay on the main road.
Goshen Hair Salon[i will get the name later]
Go east from the rotary and down one hill. When you get to the bottom of the hill there is a small shopping center to the left. in that shopping center is the beauty salon.
AJ's Steak and Pizza
AJ's Steak and Pizza is located in the same group of stores as the post office.
The Village Blacksmith Shop
The post office
The Post office is located about a quarter of a mile west from the rotary.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A679241

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more