Gnomon's Guide to Extended Find

0 Conversations

Extended Find is a little-known feature of h2g2. It is quite possible that Researcher Gnomon, who wrote this Guide, is the only person who knows about it. It allows you to search for a list of all entries of a particular 'status', optionally edited by a particular editor.

Before going into the Extended Find screen, there are a few things to know about it.

  1. The list of results returned will have lots of links on it. Don't click on these links. They lead to some obscure corners of h2g2 which don't really work anymore. You can write down the A numbers or titles produced, or even cut and paste them into notepad, but the links themselves should not be used.
  2. If you want entries edited by a particular editor, put their U number without the U into the relevant field. Otherwise clear the field.
  3. The type (status) is by default set to No Status. You must select a status from the dropdown list before searching. The type of entry is very outdated, based on a system that stopped being used in about 2000. Some of these types correspond to the types being used today, as given in the table below.
  4. Do not select either of the "Any" options with the Editor field left blank, as this will attempt to select all of the approximately 1 million entries in the Guide, which will certainly crash your browser.
CodeStatusModern Equivalent
 AnyAll entries including deleted
 Any uncancelledAll entries except deleted
1Official Guide EntryEdited Entry
2User entry, privateNo modern equivalent
3User entry, publicUnedited entry
4Submitted articlePicked: awaiting sub-editor or with sub-editor
5Locked by EditorNo modern equivalent
6Awaiting approvalReturned from sub: awaiting final polishing
7CancelledEntry deleted in Ripley system
8User entry, staff-lockedNo modern equivalent
9Guide Key ArticleHelp Page
10Guide General PageRipley h2g2 Front Page
11Awaiting RejectionNo modern equivalent
12Unsure: Awaiting Editorial DecisionNo modern equivalent
13Waiting to go officialReturned from sub: ready to be published

So here's the link:

Extended Find


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A817049

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more