Doing the Web Well

0 Conversations

Computers with eyes on

[ Glossary ] [ GuideML Clinic ]

'Doing the Web Well' is a new series of articles about writing standards compliant (and thus future-proof) web pages. Written by myself and other interested parties, these articles will not only teach you HTML properly using the standards, but will also explain the history of the standards, why using them is in your own best interests and tips and tricks used to achieve certain formatting effects.

This series shall not confine itself to HTML (or rather, the XML based successor - XHTML) but will rather link together all the W3C1 standards. The intention is to explain how the standards have been developed to produce a seamless solution for information sharing. The series will also cover non-W3C XMLs2 such as our own GuideML and the XML streams of the Jabber network technology.

As this series progresses, a glossary of acronyms, codes and jargons will be evolved so providing a clear reference for everyone to use. Along with a glossary, I also hope to produce quick-reference cards to the most common standards, allowing you an even easier point-of-call for all your markup problems.

'Doing the Web Well' is, as far as I know, the first guide to markup languages that is not only suitable for all grades from beginners to advanced gurus, but that also takes a standards compliant approach from the start - before bad habits set in.

Contributors

Articles

Historical

  1. The World Wide Web Consortium

Useful links

1World Wide Web Consortium2eXtensible Markup3 Language3A markup is a coding system that attatches semantic information to a block of otherwise unstructured information.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A820162

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more