Musical Food: Answers

1 Conversation

Here's where you sing for your supper.

Musical Food – Answers

A Chinese teapot

1. Toast and. . . for Tea.

c. Marmalade. A song by 'one-hit wonders' Tin Tin in 1971.

2. Yes, We Have. . . Bananas.

a. No. From the 1922 revue 'Make It Snappy', and sung by Eddie Cantor. The song refers to a banana shortage caused by a blight in Brazil back then. Nobody who has ever lived in Greece will be surprised that the phrase 'Yes, we have no bananas' originated with a Greek American greengrocer. (It makes perfect sense in Greek.) Of further historical note is that the song was popular in Belfast in 1932 as the theme of the Outdoor Relief protests. Apparently, 'Yes, We Have No Bananas' was the only non-sectarian song everybody knew.

3. You're the cream in my . . .

b. coffee. A big hit in the US in 1928. 'You will always be my necessity.' Uh-huh. That's what they all say.

4. (Blast from the past category.) The. . . of Old England.

d. Roast Beef. Henry Fielding wrote this in the 18th Century. You have to love a song with the word 'ragout' in it. Before you go around singing it on a ship, however, be aware: 'The Roast Beef of Old England' was the tune Titanic bugler PW Fletcher played to call first-class passengers to meals. The painter Hogarth had more luck with it. (Compare Hogarth's experience to that of Arlo Guthrie, below.)

5. 'Goodness, how delicious, eatin' goober. . . '

b. peas. 'Goober peas', in case you don't know, are peanuts. The Confederate Army practically lived on peanuts during the US Civil War. Greatest stanza:

Just before the battle, the general hears a row,

He says, 'The Yanks are comin', I hear their rifles now,'

He turns around in wonder, and what d'ye think he sees?

The Tennessee militia, eatin' goober peas!
Mennonites in front of a church

6. (Staying in the US for a minute.) . . . Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy.

c. Shoo-Fly. According to June Christy in this recording, 'I'll never get enough of that wonderful stuff.' What's that you say? Shoo-Fly Pie is a delicious concoction from the Pennsylvania Dutch country. Here's a recipe.

7. (For Gilbert and Sullivan fans.) 'The rollicking, rollicking. . . '

c. bun. It was the bun that was rollicking at the Sorceror's picnic. The Sally Lunn was 'gay'. (No comment.)

Led Zeppelin circa 1970s

8. You can get anything you want at. . .

b. Alice's Restaurant. Thanks to Arlo Guthrie.

9. Complete this memorable lyric: 'Like a night out in Sheffield, like a greasy. . . '

b. Chip butty. If you're from Yorkshire, you knew that. If you're from the US, you might need to know that a 'chip' is a fried potato, and a 'butty' is a sandwich. Now that you know this, you still don't know why anyone would eat this. But you eat Buffalo wings, so shut up and don't be xeno-whatsit. Just get a Sheffield United fan to sing it to you – it goes to the tune of 'Annie's Song' by John Denver.

10. Remember Harry Champion? 'A little bit of. . . '

a. Cucumber. We hope you don't remember it from when it first came out, because the song dates from World War I. At least it's healthier than the chip butty.

This quiz is guaranteed to be low-fat and meet all nutritional requirements for galactic hitchhikers – unless you actually eat the chip butty, in which case you're on your own. If you have enjoyed your dining experience, please tell your friends.

Mark Wing-Davey as Zaphod Beeblebrox in 'The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy'.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.06.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87761082

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more