Oddity of the Week: Can You Spell Punxsutawney?

2 Conversations

It's that time of year again – time to prophesy the weather. Will it ever work?

Can You Spell Punxsutawney?

A groundhog, or woodchuck, or Grundsau.

We knew you could. Ever since Bill Murray made that movie1, everybody and his kid brother knows about Groundhog Day, the annual event held on Gobbler's Knob. What they probably don't know, however, is that it's really an old tradition involving Pennsylvania Dutch farmers and the German cultural tradition of Bauernweisheiten, or farmer's wisdom. According to which, if the groundhog, or Grundsau, sees his shadow on the cross-quarter day (2 February), bad winter weather will be prolonged.

By now, we know whether Punxsutawney Phil has seen his shadow. At least officially. All the other wannabe official groundhogs, including Raleigh, North Carolina's Sit Walter Wally, have had their say, as well. Whether they help chasr the snow away is questionable, but they help chase the winter blues away. And they're way cute.

A groundhog is a rodent of the family Sciuridae. It is also known as a whistle-pig, a land-beaver, a marmot, a Murmeltier, or a woodchuck.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck,

If a woodchuck would chuck wood?

I dunno. But then, I don't know when spring will come, either.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.02.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1We understand the groundhog bit him.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87784131

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more