The Post Quiz - Musical Instruments and Their Discontents - Answers

1 Conversation

You might want to write a Guide Entry about some of these weird musical instruments.

Musical Instruments and Their Discontents: Answers

A trombone

If you knew all these, you're a real expert on world music. And weird music. You probably have odd tastes, too, like the Editor, who is particularly fond of the good old theremin. Not to mention the unearthly sound of the glass (h)armonica..

Why do people play these things? For one thing, it's fun. For another, the musical urge has been around for at least 35,000 years, and shows no signs of going away, in spite of Justin Bieber.

Here are the answers, and some YouTube links to illustrate our musical instruments. Since August is music month, you might want to consider taking one of these up. Of course, you could go traditional, like Awix, and strum your ukulele in time to the singing Tesla coil.

Answers:

  1. The bagpipes have been classed as a weapon of war. Don't believe us? Try listening to Johnny Bagpipes.
  2. In Mozart's Requiem, the composer used a trombone to represent the Last Trump of Judgement Day. Well, Luther translated it that way in the Bible: 'The trombone shall sound, and the dead shall be raised.' Me, I wouldn't get up for a trombone. We'll spare you, but you might enjoy this take on Gabriel's trumpet.
  3. Although the Australian didgeridoo is made of wood, it is classed as a 'brass aerophone'. It's a really cool instrument.
  4. The caxirola , the official musical instrument of South American football matches, has been banned from the 2014 World Cup stadium by host Brazil. (Fans throw them onto the pitch.) Have a listen.
  5. Speaking of the World Cup, the 2010 World Cup in South Africa featured the popular but noisy vuvuzela. Find out why footballers hate them.
  6. Benjamin Franklin invented a musical instrument called the glass armonica, or glass harmonica. An urban legend in the 18th Century claimed its ghostly tones drove musicians insane. View this at your own risk.
  7. A theremin is a musical instrument you play without touching it. You know what sounds good on this instrument.
  8. Björk's 2011 performance piece, Biophilia, features a song called 'Thunderbolt' that uses the high-tech singing Tesla coil, a form of plasma speaker also called a 'Zeusaphone'. You can watch Björk here, or you can skip the highbrow stuff and enjoy 'Sweet Home Alabama" on the singing Tesla coil.
  9. Visitors to Renaissance Fayres are used to the buzzing sound of the capped reed instrument called the crumhorn or krumhorn. They're making a comeback, for reasons unknown. Check out the gathering in Palestine, Texas, where they celebrate the Great Texas Krumhorn Konklave.
  10. In some parts of the world, people who can't afford violins sometimes play the musical saw. Low-tech, but fun. Enjoy this sentimental rendition of an old favourite.

Have you written for the August Create Challenge yet? Maybe this gave you some ideas. At least, you'll have something to talk to those jokey musicians about.

A tuning fork.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

26.08.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87808198

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more