Smudger Snippets: iPad

0 Conversations

I suppose it's because I have so much time on my hands these days, that all these memories come flooding back to me.

My New iPad

This is my first Snippet written on my iPad. It wasn't the first word processing App that I tried, but it has turned out to the best one of all the others that I tried. It is the closest one to the Word program that I have on my lap top.


Recently I discovered that the only copy I had of my poems, which I have written over the years, was on this web site. After trying to copy and paste them without any success, I contacted The Post team, who were only too pleased to help me, and sent me an Email giving the instructions on how to go about it.


It was while I was in the process of copying and pasting them onto my desk top computer, that I realised just how much I have learned about using a computer since joining this site some 12 years ago. During that time, computer technology has come a long way, so much so, that I find myself sitting here on the new iPad that my wife bought me for Christmas. Come to think of it, that was when my wife and her lads chipped in and got me my very first computer, which was on my 50th birthday.


I had no idea back then, while using my new desk top, that in years to come I would be able to sit in bed and type away on a small pad smaller than a sheet of A4 paper. Not only that, but be able to watch films and live TV programs in High Definition on it as well. Mind you, I never dreamt that we would be able to watch films on a wafer thin silver disc, not much bigger that a saucer, spinning at 2,000 revolutions a minute.


I had no idea that I would be capable of transferring my poems onto an external hard dive as that would have been such a difficult task for me to even think of, as back then even copy and pasting was a learning curve for me.


So you can imagine our surprise when we saw our two-year old granddaughter sitting with her Dads iPad watching cartoons; not only that, she can also pull up YouTube and select the music videos that she likes the best, then revert back to her cartoons.


The first time we saw this happening, was on a video clip that our lad sent us via Email, the next time was when they were here on a visit, and our granddaughter picked up my wife's iPad, which was on standby, then proceeded to scroll through the icons, found YouTube and selected her favourite music track. So somehow I don't think she will go through the same learning curve with computers or iPads that we had to.

Smudger Snippets Archive

Smudger

21.04.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87827494

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more