Oddity of the Week: Oh, to be a submariner...

0 Conversations

The history of technology is full of quandaries and ironies.

Oh, to be a submariner…

Design for a submarine in 1806.

Ah, the little ironies of history. If Napoleon had listened to Robert Fulton, rather than saying, 'Alors! Your steamboat sanks in the Seine, Monsieur!', things might have been different. If the Admiralty had paid more attention to Fulton – who had changed sides, so to speak – rather than preening over Nelson's Trafalgar victory, they might have sunk the whole French fleet in record time. Instead, of course, Fulton went back home to New York, and launched the first commercial steamship, from the Big Apple to Albany. And, although he died young in 1815, he'd already managed to set the stage for the great era of Mississippi steamboat travel, as Mark Twain could have told you. So is life.

This is an 1806 drawing for a submarine by Robert Fulton. We thought you engineering types might enjoy it. Fulton first started designing the things in the 1790s. Hard to imagine a submarine back then…

Modern people are fond of criticising scientists – with some justification – for working for the highest bidder. Social responsibility is important. But it seems that going where the contract is has a long pedigree. Fulton was just trying to get somebody to foot the bill for his nautical wonders, be it the French, the British, or the Yanks.

Which is why the first steam-powered warship was built for the Americans in the War of 1812. (Not that it made any difference.) History is funny like that.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

22.09.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87839068

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more