The h2g2 Post 01.12.14

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 1st December 2014

December Frontiers

Adventures in space.December is here! Holiday cheer on the horizon – if you can see the horizon, which most of us can't. Why not? Well, it's either raining or snowing, most of the time, here in the northern hemisphere. 2014 isn't even over yet, and people in the Northeast US are already heartily sick of seeing those white flakes. Don't mention the weather in Buffalo, New York. You might not like what you hear. If you're living in the southern hemisphere, and therefore planning to throw a shrimp on the barbie come Christmas Day, be nice and don't gloat too much. Some of us are getting grumpy.

What else is on the horizon? Space, the final frontier! Yep, these are the voyages of the ISS, its continuing mission: to seek out new facts and new discoveries, to find out more about life in microgravity, to boldly go where no mouse has gone before. The Rodent Research Hardware is only one of the mysteries of Expedition 42, the ISS mission that is going on over all our heads, and is dedicated to…you guessed it! Expedition 42 honours the Hitchhiker's Guide. And we want to honour our brave Earth astronauts. So, now that NaJoPoMo is over, Create urge us to turn our attention to the stars. December is Space Month. Write about it. Investigate it. Send in your Guide Entries, artwork, photography, stories, anecdotes, whatever you can come up with.

Our contributors are getting us off to a good start. The aptly-named Galaxy Babe is back with her yearly review of events astronomical. Awix reviews a science fiction film, the latest in the Hunger Games series. That should hold you till we get a rope. Start working on your contribution to this month's challenge.

Of course, not all December thoughts turn to space. Some people are planning get-togethers. Why not read them some ghost stories, if they're British? (If they're not, they'll probably think you should be locked up.) In this issue, we recommend some perfect read-aloud stories for your holiday fete. And if you're looking for gift ideas for the geek in your household, check out Magwitch's Game of the Month. It might be a must-buy for your favourite gamer.

Ben's back with a knotty question. Willem's here with a bright bird. The aliens are Out There with an alternative view of history, as always. We'll quiz you, inform you, and tickle your funnybone.

Got something to share? You know our address: postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com. Write early and often, and don't throw snowballs at your elders. They are slower than you, and can't dodge as fast as they used to. Peace, man, until next week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

ALL THINGS BRIGHT
  • Frosted leaf, night sky.
  • Globular cluster by NASA.


ALL CREATURES H2G2

ALL THINGS WILD AND WONDERFUL

  • Cuban Tody by Willem.
  • Christ Church Episcopal in Rugby, Tennessee.

ALL THROUGH THE YEARS
  • Illustration of the internet rumour that US President Eisenhower consorted with aliens.
  • Photocopying in the Gay 90s

ALL IN A MUDDLE
  • Tweet about an apocryphal event.
  • John Cleese with a catchphrase.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87839419

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more