The Phyto-Philes: South African Winter Garden, Part 2

0 Conversations

Winter Gardening in South Africa: Part 2

Carpenter bee


My next photos show some of the invertebrates attracted to my winter flowers. The first is a Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa caffra, visiting a flower of a Tuft-bush, Lopholaena coriifolia. These big, chunky bees are sometimes mistaken for beetles. They excavate their nests in Aloe stems, tree branches or timber used in and around houses. They are solitary bees and their nests small.

Hoverfly


The next photo shows a Hoverfly, Eristalinus taeniops, visiting the cyathia (compound flowers) of an Euphorbia mauritanica. This and a few other hoverfly species closely resemble bees. They gain protection from this, although they cannot sting. Like bees, they visit flowers for nectar. They are not pests at all. I haven't seen bees visiting these Euphorbia flowers, which is good, since honey made with Euphorbia nectar burns people's mouths and throats!

Junonia


The last photo shows a Blue Pansy, Precis oenone, sometimes placed in the genus Junonia. It is perched on flowers of the Beestebal. This beautiful little butterfly, with a wingspan reaching 45mm/1.8", is common over the eastern half of South Africa, living in bushveld and woodland. Its larvae feed on members of the Acanthus family.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

06.10.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87840066

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more