Bluebottle's Christmas Crossword 2014

1 Conversation

It's the annual

Christmas Crossword

Across
  • 1.) Classic novel by Charles Dickens about a Mr Scrooge (1,9,5)
  • 12.) What people might say after being given a present. (2)
  • 14.) ? A deer. A female reindeer. (Not a drop of golden sun.) (3)
  • 15.) A loving and loyal father could be described as a '? parent' (7)
  • 16.) Presents are ? from whom they are going to be given before Christmas Day. (3)
  • 17.) And ? you will find him lying in a manger. (2)
  • 18.) Three for the Elven-Kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his Dark Throne, and five golden ones. (5)
  • 20.) This word gives approval, showing that at Christmas, everything is all right. (2)
  • 22.) The Holly and the ? (3)
  • 23.) ? Christmas I gave you my heart. (4)
  • 25.) The reindeer most often mistaken for a kebab. (6)
  • 27.) An inhabitant of the North Pole who works with Father Christmas, also a film starring Will Ferrell. (3)
  • 28.) The Wise Men were from this direction. (4)
  • 30.) The colour of Rudolph's nose. (3)
  • 31.) What the Snowman does the day after walking in the air. (4)
  • 33.) A man made out of snow, traditionally made around Christmas. (7)
  • 36.) One of these top Christmas tree decorations told Mary to expect a baby (5)
  • 38.) People kiss under this plant, which is poisonous if eaten. (9)
  • 41.) The first ? the angel did say. (6)
  • 42.) ? Holy Night. (6,5)
  • 44.) What 'Religious Studies' was abbreviated at school to. (2) (Not 52 down)
  • 46.) Young children do this on Father Christmas's knee. (3)
  • 47.) If your car slips in the ice, it may end up with a large ? (4)
  • 48.) ? three kings of Orient are (2).
  • 49.) Shakin' ? sang 'Merry Christmas Everyone' (7)
  • 51.) 1971's Christmas No 1 was about this fastest milkman in the west, and ? Wise entertained audiences with Eric Morecambe. (5)
  • 54.) The angel said 'I mean you no ?' (4)
  • 55.) A Book in the Bible's New Testament that was written as a letter is known as an ? (7)
  • 56.) A long poem, such as A Visit From St Nick, is also called an ? (3)
  • 57.) ? Richard is the rocky singer who was Christmas No. 1 in 1960, 1988, 1989 (with Band Aid 2) and 1990 and No 2 in 1999. (5)
  • 59.) Saint also known as Father Christmas. (8)
  • 60.) Children often sit on Father Christmas' ? and say what they'd like for Christmas (4)
  • 62.) '? You', 1983 Christmas no 1 for The Flying Pickets. (4) Also 40 down.
  • 64.) Number of pipers piping (6).
  • 65.) An untidy way of opening presents is to ? the paper. (3)
  • 66.) In Batman Returns, a film set a Christmas, who is informed that Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it? (8)
Down
  • 1) Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind we'll tak' a cup of kindness yet for the sake of ? (4,4,4)
  • 2.) In The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Susan is given this musical instrument from Father Christmas. (4)
  • 3.) Sleigh-pulling animals that fly on Christmas Eve (8)
  • 4.) Where there was no room. (3)
  • 5.) People take photos at Christmas. A type of camera memory card. (2)
  • 6.) Adaptations of classic novels are often shown on TV at Christmas. Maybe even ? of the d'Urbervilles (4)
  • 7.) What donkeys are kept in in stables. Also a car that stops when you don't want it to does this. (4)
  • 8.) Another term for 'AD', the time since the birth of Jesus. (2)
  • 9.) A type of calendar that counts down to Christmas. (6)
  • 10.) ? Wood is a singer who wishes it could be Christmas everyday. (3)
  • 11.) For Christmas, women are often given Bath ? (4)
  • 12.) ? The Season to be jolly. Fa la la la la la la la la. (3)
  • 13.) The time since Jesus' birth is usually called ? (2)
  • 14.) You open a ? on an Advent Calendar each day. (4)
  • 16.) An item of clothing made out of paper found in crackers and worn at Christmas. (3)
  • 19.) After getting a Mogwai for Christmas, Billy was surrounded by ? (8)
  • 20.) Where, but baby, it's cold (7)
  • 21.) Device put on to make a nice, hot, cup of tea first thing on Christmas morning. (6)
  • 22.) ? I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb. (2)
  • 24.) The youngest son of the Cratchit family who personifies the surplus population. (4,3)
  • 26.) Aunty ? is Dorothy's aunt in The Wizard of Oz. (2)
  • 29.) ? Christmas gives presents to good girls and boys. (6)
  • 32.) Father Christmas makes one of these and checks it twice. (4)
  • 33.) On the twelve days of Christmas my true love ? to me (4)
  • 34.) Rhymes with 'sleigh'. Mr Bean cheats to win a turkey by knowing how much it does ? (5)
  • 35.) In Gremlins, Gizmo is this type of animal. (6)
  • 37.) Father Christmas lives at this pole. (5)
  • 39.) John ? sang 'Happy Xmas (Was Is Over)' and was 1980's posthumous Christmas no 1 (disputed) with '(Just Like) Starting Over', having previously been part of the group that had been Christmas 1 & 2 in 1963, Christmas No 1 in 1964, Christmas No 1 in 1965 and Christmas 1 & 2 in 1967. (6)
  • 40.) According to Kermit the Frog, there's ? one more sleep 'til Christmas. (4)
  • 43.) A plant often decorated at Christmas. (4)
  • 45.) ? Him Lying on a Bed of Straw and Amid the Winter's Snow (3)
  • 50.) The Three Kings followed a ? (as Sat Nav hadn’t been invented). (4)
  • 52.) Religious Education at school is often abbreviated to this (2) (Not 44 across)
  • 53.) Many shops give out gift catalogues to help people get an ? of what to give their family and friends for Christmas. (4)
  • 57.) An animal that is milked and often found eating from a manger. (3)
  • 58.) Christmas is enjoyable, a day on which children have ? (3)
  • 61.) An Alien wishing to phone home in a film often on at Christmas. (2)
  • 63.) The amount of room in the Inn. (2)

Please note: all songs and Christmas chart positions are based on Britain's national chart.

A reader of the h2g2 Post
Competitions and Quizzes Archive

The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

22.12.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87845304

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more