The Post Quiz: UK Geography

1 Conversation

How much do you know about…

The Post Quiz: UK Geography

British pigeons

Whether you pronounce it 'gee-o-graph-y' or 'jog-graph-y', it's a pretty interesting subject. Thanks to some teachers, scientists, and schoolkids, we've collected a few factoids and pseudofactoids about everybody's favourite island group. Just decide if it's true – the world is stranger than you think – or false – the Post Editor has a weird sense of humour.

True or false?

  1. Milton Keynes is listed on the Gough Map.
  2. There are three villages in the UK named Cackle Street.
  3. A hamlet is a village without a church.
  4. Devon is the only county in Great Britain to have two coasts.
  5. London's population reached the 1 million mark in 1905.
  6. The Humber Bridge is the world's longest single-span suspension bridge.
  7. Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the UK.
  8. Ogof Ffynnon Ddu ia Welsh for 'hiding place of stolen sheep.'
  9. Altnaharra, Scotland, has the coldest temperatures in the UK.
  10. If you live in the UK, you are no more than 75 miles from the sea.
  11. Some h2g2ers live in Doggerland.

Got 'em all, Brits and Brit-lovers? Click the pic below to see.

The United Kingdom
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.07.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87856375

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more