The h2g2 Post 25.01.16

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 25th January 2016

Cold Paws, Warm Heart

Frozen crab dinner in an igloo, yum. A home non-cooked meal. As I write this, it's snowing outside. Is it snowing where you are? Or are you basking in antipodean sunshine? If so, good for you. Give a thought to those of us in the winter doldrums.

Everybody in town is grumpy. I think it's a combination of post-holiday tristesse and UV deprivation. That, and there's nothing good on telly.
And they don't have any frozen crabs to eat, like those people in the igloo. Back in 1924, Frank Kleinschmidt took this fantastic photo. Mrs Kleinschmidt is in the photo, dining on frozen crabs. You notice Mr Kleinschmidt is too busy adjusting his aperture to partake...

We've got two cures for those winter doldrums. One, give yourself permission to say, 'Ah, the heck with it. Why should I feel all cheerful? That takes too much energy.' Followed by, two, 'I think I'll read the Post. It's just weird enough to match my mood. You know, I might just write something…' That's the ticket. Now you're on our wavelength.
Lola the Doglet near the grate, in her favourite sweater.
Our regulars are back to keep you occupied with odd stories, bits of news, funny anecdotes…you name it, we've got it. Help us caption that photo. Wonder along with us whether the world is as strange a place as we think it is. Point out the curiosities in your neighbourhood.

And cheer up: winter can't last. Sooner or later, that ground hog is going to wake up. And my dog will move away from the heating grate. She's hanging around there in protest against the weather, plus the fact that the groomer took away all her excess hair. Okay, she actually looks like a dog now rather than a dust mop – you can tell where the front end is, and everything – but losing about half a pound of hair took some getting used to.

So if my dog can put up with January, and stay cheerful – and believe me, she is, even if she takes her frustrations out on her stuffed roadkill toy – then you can, too. Fetch a hot beverage and dive into the goodies below. Cheer up your fellow h2g2ers by leaving some snark.

And let us know if the TV ever gets any better.
Lola mediating on winter. She's not a big fan.
PS. Lola the Doglet features in this week's Post Quiz, which she actually guest-wrote. (She's pretty talented, ounce for ounce.)


Dmitri Gheorgheni

LIFE ON THE EDGE
  • White-Backed Vulture by Willem.
  • A tattoo parlour.

OF THIS AND THAT

SCARY THINGS

  • NASA: as paranoid as Nigel?
  • I'm a little teapot, grr.

WARM TALES FOR COLD NIGHTS

WRITING: IT'S GOOD EXERCISE,
AND IT WILL KEEP YOU WARM
  • Create January Challenge.
  • A male role model.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87863421

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more