Colours of Wildlife: Chukar Partridge

1 Conversation

Chukar Partridge

Willem is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours. . . but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Chukar Partridge by Willem.


The species I feature this time is not a South African native! It is a Chukar Partridge, Alectoris chukar, which naturally occurs from Israel and the Mid-East through Turkey and from there into central Asia reaching eastern China. It just barely enters Africa, living on the Sinai Peninsula. It lives in mostly dry, high, open, rocky country. It is part of a complex of similar partridge species, which live in Europe, northwest Africa, Arabia, the Mid East, and Asia. It is very handsome with its neat side stripes, 'made-up' face and black throat band. They're mid-sized partridges, reaching 35 cm/14" in overall length. The name comes from the chuck-chuck-chukarr-chukarr call which is characteristic of this species.

Introduced Gamebirds


I really dislike the term 'gamebird' since I don't at all think it should be considered fun, a game, or sport, to kill these beautiful birds! Yet, many people do think so and have introduced this species in many places where it does not occur just for the sake of shooting them! This has indeed caused some problems in some places. It generally is a bad idea to introduce a species into a habitat and ecosystem where it doesn't naturally occur, but in the Chukar partridge's case, this is compounded because it has been introduced into some European countries where the similar and closely-related Red-Legged Partridge occurs, with which it interbreeds, thus compromising the genetic integrity of that species. They've also been introduced into the USA, South America, New Zealand and Australia. In the latter country the introduction seems to have been unsuccessful, all the birds dying out.


This species has also been introduced to South Africa. As in Australia, birds introduced to Natal did not make it. But the birds did make it in one place – on Robben Island! This small island off the Cape Peninsula is a rocky and barren place, perfect for these partridges, without any natural predators or competitors. The island however also is perfect as a prison island from which escape is very difficult. Consequently, it was on this island where Nelson Mandela was held for the majority of his 27-year prison sentence. It is likely though that he didn't have much occasion to appreciate the pretty partridges! He mostly had to stay in a quite tiny cell, only going out to do hard labour.

The Harsh Life


Actually, for the partridges, Robben Island is a nice place to live compared to their native haunts. In the high mountains of Central Asia, they have to endure drought, cold and strong winds as a matter of course. They form small coveys, numbering ten to fifty birds. They move over the course of the year, visiting the highlands during the summer but moving to the warmer, more sheltered valleys during the winter. They are omnivorous, eating seeds, leaves, bulbs and tubers, and small critters, scratching and pecking like chickens. They ingest a good deal of grit, which might help them to digest tough plant food. They get much of their water needs from their food, but appreciate access to drinking water. They conserve energy by not flying much, preferring to run to escape danger, but will fly off on their short, rounded wings if necessary. They'll typically launch themselves from a mountain slope, flying at an angle downwards, using some assistance from gravity and mountain breezes. In winter, they'll often roost huddled together, to conserve warmth, and facing outwards, to spot potential danger.


Chukars breed in summer. The hen will first choose the cock: several males will fight among each other to establish their strength and vigour. The cock also displays by doing a high-stepping walk, or by chasing the hen with his neck feathers fluffed. He also ceremonially points out food to her, which she then pecks up. Once mated, the pair remains together for life. Their nest is a mere scrape in the ground, sheltered by small bushes or rocks, and lined with a bit of plant material and a few feathers. The hen lays from seven to fourteen eggs per clutch. Like other partridges, pheasants and quails, their chicks are born fluffy and open-eyed and able to run with their parents immediately. They peck up their own food, just following the example of their parents.


In spite of suffering persecution from humans, chukar partridges are not endangered. With their large family sizes, they rapidly recover from hunting losses. They are respected in many countries, even being the national birds of Iraq and also of Pakistan! In Indian and Pakistani mythology, chukars are said to habitually gaze at the moon, being in love with it, and consequently being symbols of unrequited love.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

14.03.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87868840

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more