The h2g2 Post 22.08.16

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 22nd August 2016

(Not Just) For the Birds

Mark Twain on a donkey. Why not? We have so many bird pictures this week, we couldn't help starting off with Mark Twain on a donkey, just for variety. You can read about the old professional liar in this week's Writing Right column. We're thinking of Twain a lot lately, partly because the humourist was so good at deflating self-important persons…and it is an election year in the US, after all. If you haven't seen the need for more humour, then you haven't been following the candidates. Mark, we miss you.

Thinking of clever writers and people we miss brings us to an Announcement of interest to all on h2g2. This week, BBC's Radio Four will be airing a series called Unforgettable, about influential people in our time as remembered by those who knew them best. On Thursday, 25 August, at 1.45 pm GMT, the series will focus on Douglas Adams, and our own Robbie Stamp will be featured. You'll want to tune in or listen online. (Link included for our non-British-type readers.) The h2g2 Post brings you the latest news of interest to Researchers, as always.

What do we have for you this week, other than news and silly tourists on donkeys?

  • We have cinema.
  • We have more writing tips, and writing opportunities, than you can shake a mouse at.
  • We have humour. (Of course.)
  • We have so many astonishing bird photos that we could open a virtual aviary. (What's wrong with bird pictures? You don't like birds?)
  • For some reason, we keep talking about trains, trips, and rockets. Not necessarily in that order.

As usual, read, leave friendly comments, get inspired to share something with us all.

Have a good week – stay dry out there, or keep cool, whichever applies! And send us some more pics! (They don't have to be birds, or dogs, or cats, but they could be, if that's what you've got in front of you while you're holding the phone…)


Dmitri Gheorgheni

MERRY BIRDS, INDOORS AND OUT
  • Scalyfeathered finch by Willem.
  • Chickens proceeding in a dignified way into the henhouse.

ROCKETS AND OTHER THINGS THAT GO REALLY FAST

LOOK! THERE'S A BIRD!

  • A barn owl heading straight for SashaQ.
  • The Post's official hummingbird feeder.

THERE ISN'T A TRAIN I WOULDN'T TAKE,
No matter where it's going.
– Edna St Vincent Millay
TAKE THE THOUGHT TRAIN
  • Create August Challenge.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87874014

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more