The Post Quiz: Condiments

0 Conversations

Cold weather coming. Thinking about comfort food. Yum…pass this test on…

Condiments

Condiments: they decorate our tables. They make our food taste better. And they're a sign of cultural identity. Don't believe us? Take the quiz.

Answer these questions about condiments past and present.

  1. The oldest book in the Bible, Job, asks the rhetorical question, 'Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without _______?'
  2. The Romans kept garum on their dinner tables. The main ingredient is fermented________.
  3. In Greece, try some tzatziki. To make it, you need to grate a ____________.
  4. Your bread's too dry? Spread some Romanian zacusca on it. It's made of peppers and ___________.
  5. Vinegar goes way back. The word vinegar comes from the French for 'sour _______'.
  6. If you don't like vinegar on your chips, try _______________. It's popular in Belgium, and it contains eggs.
  7. __________ originated in China, but it was a popular homemade condiment in colonial North America. Back then, they didn't add tomatoes, because everybody knew those were poisonous.
  8. You like things sweet? How sweet? Sugar cane is sweeter, but in 1747, German chemist Andreas Marggraf made the delicious stuff from ___________.
  9. In 1837, two chemists, John Lea and William Perrins, manufactured a new sauce that became wildly popular. Where was their chemist's shop?
  10. Do you suffer from 'Chinese food syndrome'? You may be allergic to the popular flavour enhancer known as ____.

Puzzled? Click the picture and read the label for answers.

A blob of ketchup
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

07.11.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87880053

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more