The h2g2 Post 12.06.17

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 12th June 2017

What We're Doing in Our Copious Free Time

This week's Editorial Page kitty. The cat over there's not doing anything in particular. It's just there because the Editor worried that you might go into cat withdrawal. For this week, we have no kittehs. We have plants, all sorts, and a sort of snake-y lizard from Austria, and an impressive tortoise. We also have a wide assortment of quizzes, humorous sallies, and thoughtful essays. You're sure to enjoy this profusely illustrated issue.

Here are some of the highlights:

  • Awix has sallied forth into the cinema again, and emerged with a thumbs-up on the Wonder Woman movie. Superhero lovers, rejoice. (The young folk in this neighbourhood had good things to say, also.)
  • Bluebottle is back with more wordcraft from the Isle of Wight. Sharpen your wits with his quiz, then take on Weird Canada, and try to figure out why your English ancestors were wearing Erasmus Hats.
  • Nature blooms splendidly in this week's issue. Not only is there a giant tortoise, but Tavaron is here to share what she found in her garden. It's colourful and interesting. Superfrenchie's sent us a double rainbow. In France, even the sky is more fashionable than elsewhere.
  • Die blaue Blume. Last Sunday, our Robbie Stamp was invited to speak at the London TEDx event. His talk on the subject of grief was so moving that we've prevailed on him to share it with our readers. We think you'll agree that there's a lot of food for thought in what he said.
  • There is, as usual, a fair amount of filler here. But we protest that, unlike that sausage you Brits ate for breakfast this morning, our filler is nutritious. Groove on the snark. Enjoy the singing cubesats. Think about that Kandinsky painting, and write a caption. It will do your grey cells good. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.
  • Your Editor has decided it's time to have The Talk. So you get a pictorial lesson on reproduction. As long as the Moderators can live with the uncensored photo of a pregnant walnut. . .
  • If you have garden photos, feel free to send them in so that readers can share in the beauty. This offer does not apply to Prof Animal Chaos, who does his home gardening with a flame thrower.

Remember: June's Create Challenge involves changing the past. So get into your time machines, and send us some stories, pictures, and Guide Entries! The world you save may be your own.

So read, enjoy, talk among yourselves till we get back. Which will be next week, with even more weirdness. And if I forgot to uncover the quiz answers again, you know who to shout at.

Have a great week of rare days in June!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

APPRECIATING LIFE LESSONS FROM BIOLOGY
  • Aldabra Giant Tortoise by Willem.
  • Walnut tree Being Born, by Dmitri Gheorgheni.

HELPING YOU STAY AWAKE AT WORK

CELEBRATING NATURAL EXUBERANCE

  • Garden tulips.
  • Superfrenchie's double rainbow.

INJECTING A LITTLE HUMOUR
(FOR A GIVEN VALUE OF...)
SHARING IDEAS
  • June 2017 Create Challenge by Freewayriding.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87886804

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more