Written in Black and Wight: I Love U - Answers

1 Conversation

And now it is the time you love – here are the answers!

Love

Quick Fire Round: The Only Way is Up

Electric-shock

Did You match the correct words from the meanings listed below?

Isle of Wight

WordDefinition
UpalongGoing forwards
Up on endUpright or perpendicular
Uppen-stockStepped stone block used to mount a horse
Uppen-chockStepped wooden block used to mount a horse
UptipFall over, suffer an upset
UpzettenQuarrel or disagreement
Upzides Wi'Be an even match for

Here are a few examples of the words in context given in A Dictionary of Isle of Wight Dialect by WH Long (1886):

  • Well, I louz I sholl zee about gwyne upalong, you.
  • Rare the ladder up on end you, wull'ee.
  • I got the roomatics mortal bad. I got uptipped last week - keert and all - into deetch; and I had to bide there in the swile biggest part of a nower, till wold Badger come along and hauled me out on't. I'd had a drap, I'll own, but not enough to keep the roomatics out o'my ligs.

A Glossary of Isle of Wight Words by Major Henry Smith and Charles Roach Smith (1876) also contains an example of 'Upzetten':

There'll be the deuce o' one upzettun!

Long also provides a few examples for 'Upzides with', as does Maxwell Gray, the penname of Newport author Mary Gleed Tuttiett (1846-1923). She uses the word in her novel The Reproach of Annesley (1889).

...he felt that he had a difficult and delicate part to play, in preserving friendly relations with both this stern and resolute woman and the man she hated so bitterly. He thought too with some apprehension of the extreme difficulty of managing with such dexterity as to separate Edward from Alice, and at the same time throw him into Sibyl's society; he was beginning to fear, besides, that Edward's reputation was almost too seriously damaged for Sibyl's marriage with him to be a success. He looked at the rigid lips of the hard woman sitting opposite him, and suspected that his iron will and subtle brain had been matched, if not overmatched, and mentally indorsed the truth of Eaysh Squire's verdict upon Mrs. Annesley, "You can't nowhow get upzides with she." But it was important that he should get 'upsides with' Mrs. Annesley, and he determined to do so, not knowing the extent to which she was turning him inside out.

Main Round

Isle of Wight

There are three possible answers listed for each word below, but only one is correct. Can You guess which is right?

Unbelievun

  • Someone who doubts the existence of Father Christmas.
  • Careless or heedless.
  • Ignorant or unaware.

Yep, with Long providing the example:

That bwoy es as unbelievun as can be, 'tes noo use to zay nothen too'n.

Unbeknownst

  • A bee trapped indoors.
  • Someone riding a unicycle.
  • Without someone's knowledge.

A nice and easy word that is surely in common daily usage worldwide. It is included in Long's dialect dictionary anyway, with the phrase.

If a ded do anything, 'twas unbeknownst to me.

Uncommonly

  • Very.
  • Posh and/or stuck up.
  • Someone opposed to the European Common Market.

Essentially meaning 'more than normal' the word essentially means 'very' or extremely. Long gives the example,

Your beeans have kidded uncommon well.

Underground

  • Someone who is unusually short.
  • Travelling through the Ryde tunnel.
  • Hell.

A word whose usage is unique to the Isle of Wight, 'underground' means someone who has 'under-grown' or short. Curiously the examples by the Smiths and Long both imply that short people are unhappy:

He's a miseryeabul little underground chap.
He's a miserable little underground sort o'feller.

Unhapse

  • Perhaps not.
  • Hapless, unlucky.
  • Unfasten.

Unlatch

  • Change a toilet door lock from 'Engaged' to 'Vacant'.
  • Unharness.
  • To rescue someone who is caught or trapped.

Unready

  • To give poor advice.
  • To be unable to read.
  • Not fully cooked.

This particularly means meat not fully boiled or roasted.

Unthaw

  • To thaw.
  • To say the weather is getting very cold or be frozen.
  • To mark a trail or object with ice or snow.

Uv

  • The colour of the Solent.
  • Of.
  • An oven.

Simply meaning 'of', as you can imagine there are numerous examples of its use in context I can choose from, from the simple Eny uv'e zid my hriphook?, but at this time of year when we're thinking of Christmas and the jingling bells of a one-horse open sleigh, I'll quote a verse from 'The Carter's Mate', a poem in Legends and Lays of the Isle of Wight by Percy Goddard Stone (1911).

I luvs t' bring o' they jinglin' bells

As t' harses ztep along.

It zounds to I like t' harmony

In t' chorus uv a zong.
Map of the Isle of Wight in words.
A - B - C - D - E - F - G
H - I - J - K - L -
M
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T
U
A reader of the h2g2 Post
The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

11.12.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87900672

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more