The View from My Window: Symmetry

1 Conversation

The View from My Window: Symmetry

Bridge by bobstafford

This is an attempt to capture the spirit of this of this wonder of bridge engineering. I dont know but I believe that the components of this bridge are mainly straight, even though if viewed from a distance it has the most graceful curves. The support towers dominate the vehicles below and add to the height effect.

The day was overcast, so the result was almost monochrome. There is a slight sepia tint, and a splash of colour on the second lorry coming towards us. I believe this helps soften the harshness often found in black and white images.I think it has a nice 1960's feel about it.

I was lucky with the traffic: it took me ages to work out what made it special, to me anyway.
It's the reason I call it "symmetry". The foreground tower frames the further arch just right. The road lighting mounted on each side pull the eye into the image.

The trucks on the highway, even though they are travelling in opposite directions, are in the same place, and the car in the middle tidies up the base of the far tower.

I am never totally satisfied with my images, but it keeps me focused on what I am doing. I think this one is slightly off center, but I am happy enough to share it, as overall I am still happy with the end result.

Have a good week, everyone.

View from My Window Archive

bobstafford

12.03.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87905947

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more