The Beasts That Lie Beneath

1 Conversation

The author writes: ' All this wet weather is making our lawn look like the Himalayas...worms tempting the beasts that lie beneath up, methinks?

E

The Beasts That Lie Beneath

A garden beast

The earth crumbled, and the ground shook around them as, once again, Lord Parvus struck out desperately with his shimmering Bloodsword.

The beast hissed and raked at his breastplate with eight claws, each half his own height: slashing out blindly at the intruder, the beast roared.

Leather snapped, and the beautifully ornate plate fell at the beast’s onslaught.

Parvus, his retreat blocked by the seven knights, had little choice but to press on.

Fetid breath assaulted his senses as, at last, he managed to pierce the beast’s chest.

As the mighty Talpidae Monstrum died at his feet, Parvus was showered with earth as the tunnel finally collapsed.

Thinking quickly, he retrieved the breastplate. Jamming his bejeweled pommel into the beautiful turtle bone, he forced the ivory armour up into the crumbling roof.

Slanting the blade, he plunged the tip into the beast’s skull, thus managing to prop up the falling roof.

Hurriedly beckoning his troop to follow, squeezing betwixt bloodied and rank fur and tunnel walls, the brave eight entered the main cavern just as the tunnel collapsed, burying the beastly Guardian and his beloved armour and sword.

No way now but onwards.

Tallow torches did little to lift either the blackness or their spirits.

Death or Glory awaited in the darkness.

Far, far above, the gardener cursed as heavy boots stomped on yet another bloody molehill; that beast was ruining his lawn!

Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

07.05.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87909088

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more