The h2g2 Post: 28.01.19

3 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 28th January 2019

Wolf Moon with Snow Garnish

Supermoon by Mrs Hoggett
If you get caught between the Moon and New York City

The best that you can do is fall in love.


Mrs Hoggett says Hoggetts' Farm is closer to heaven than New York City, so there. And the supermoon was beautiful between the trees, as always. But brr, was it cold on the night of 20 January. -19C. I can swear to it: I was out trying to photograph a lunar eclipse that was taking place directly above the Post Office. I figured if the universe was going to stage spectacular events right on top of us, the least the Editor could do was show up. But I had to navigate the tripod in the tunnels we'd dug in the snow.

This morning, the sun came out.
Ironic Blue Sky by Dmitri Gheorgheni

Ironic, isn't it? It didn't get any warmer. It's supposed to be -20C/-4F again tonight.

Weather is a theme in our photography this week. We have European snow as well as inferior American snow. Don't run away! We have other things, too, to wit:
Eclipse over the Post Office by Dmitri Gheorgheni
  • Willem's sister flew from Pretoria all the way to Russia, and she didn't stop to admire the snow. Instead, we have some wonderful photos from the cosmonaut museum. You'll love these.
  • In addition to the ever-popular snow, our contributors have been out photographing blue skies, perfect landscapes, furniture stores, candy, and of course cats. Feast your eyes.
  • Awix has been to the cinema. He explains about sequels. We have been to the archives and brought back goodies.
  • There are quizzes. There's a photo to caption. Unusually, it involves a cat.
  • There are jokes, and then there is the writing sermon. Which may also be a joke.
  • Supermoon Supereclipse by Nebraska Frenchy
  • (Thanks to Nebraska Frenchy for that terrific supermoon eclipse photo on the left.)
  • Willem tells us more about those amazing cynodonts. He also updates us on the infernal doings of our favourite demoness. Is there no end to his talent?
  • Speaking of talent, there are more videos. The talented actors in these videos come from two continents, have unbelievable gymnastic skills, and sport fur, whiskers, four feet each, and tails. No, they are not dogs. Guess again.
  • There is fiction. There is snark. There's even snarky fiction. And snarky poetry. And a t-shirt you probably want. (Talk to Freewayriding.)
Amy Pawloski's peach of an eclipse

If, like most of our contributors, you're in the northern temperate zone, please wrap up when you go outside. Use caution when dealing with the white stuff. Enjoy indoor sport, read and respond to the Post, and think encouraging thoughts in the direction of Punxsutawney. Phil should be here with a weather report any day now…

Which brings us to the February Create Challenge, which see below. Tell us about your personal Groundhog Day experience. Or make one up. Next week, we'll have some fiction on the subject of changing the past. We want your thoughts. Send Stuff! (Also photos, with or without snow.). And have a great week!

REMINDER Just a reminder about our new book, Colours of Wildlife: An Artist's Celebration of Biodiversity, by Willem. You can order your personal copy from Lulu, our new publisher. There's even a hardcover edition! We know you've been waiting for this. Congratulations to Willem and the editing team for this one.


Create February 2019 by Freewayriding
February Create Challenge:
Your Personal Groundhog Day


Dmitri Gheorgheni

ALL NATURAL

INDOOR PURSUITS

SEEN AROUND THE WORLD


CHUCKLES
READING FOR PLEASURE
THIS'N'THAT


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87925387

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more