Join the Q: #My200BirdYear - the Results

3 Conversations

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: #My200BirdYear - the Results

Regular readers may remember that I set myself a challenge to take part in Birdwatching Magazine's #My200BirdYear during 2018. My aim was to improve my birdwatching skills and also to learn how to use the features of my new camera as I went along. I am pleased to report that I achieved all three of these objectives.

It was a challenge indeed to see 200 different species of birds, but with a lot of patience and the help of conservation organisations that brought birds of the world close enough for me to see I managed to complete my list.

Even though my list contains what some people would call 'plastic' birds (ones not seen in the wild), my birdwatching skills are much improved in comparison with this time last year. I took part in local events such as Raptorwatch and the Wader Festival and saw numerous birds I had not seen before. I examined photos carefully, rather than assuming all the birds in the pictures were the same, and found rarer things like Mediterranean Gulls, Cattle Egrets and a Redwing. Listening to the sounds of the birds helped me to locate a Wren and a Reed Warbler. I even enjoyed tea and cake in a hide while studying a particular pool patiently and was lucky to spot a Water Rail, a Stonechat and a Great White Egret there.

I also learned much more about the capabilities of my camera, especially the video feature and the 24x zoom. I haven't yet mastered some of the techniques so I didn't manage to photograph every bird I saw and some of the photos didn't turn out very well, but overall I am pleased with what I achieved. Here are four of my personal favourites.

Reed WarblerGreat Crested Grebe
Grey HeronStonechat

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

21.01.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87927835

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more