I Couldn't Care Less: Hard at Work

1 Conversation

A hypodermic needle and a vial

Hard at Work

I went for a job interview the other day. It's part of a strategy I have to find myself paid employment. The fact that I am a care giver (someone who provides care not as a living but voluntarily and usually to a friend, neighbour or family member) came up. They asked if, should I get the job, there might be a way they could arrange training for me so that I didn’t have to go away and leave my wife with nobody to look after her. They actually wanted to inconvenience themselves just to make my life easier. I was honestly flabbergasted.



I've had a few employers and as far as I could tell none of them had a carers policy. When I go for a job one of my major worries is whether or not they will accept me having to rearrange my rota to incorporate going to medical appointments. How would they react if I suddenly had to leave the premises unexpectedly because my wife had collapsed or been hospitalised? It’s a major worry and it would be a real reassurance to know that my potential boss had a formal company policy to adhere to. A couple of times in interviews I had tried asking if they had a carers policy. They didn’t really seem to know what I was talking about and I tended to leave the interview worrying that I had torpedoed my chances.


Recently I’d been hearing a lot about individuals making big changes to the world. In the UK I had heard about Gina Miller, who managed to get so-called 'upskirting' made a criminal offence. I'd read about Amika George, the teenager who had successfully campaigned to get free sanitary products offered to girls in schools to challenge what she called period poverty.


I don’t really image I can affect a change that substantial, because frankly I'm too disorganised and lazy. But I can have a go. So I decided I would start asking companies if they had carers policies for their staff. I've started with Co-op, because I am a member, and because their staff are always very pleasant. I have just dropped them an email to ask the question. I don’t know what the answer is going to be. If they have, great. Well done co-op. If not, I shall try to badger them into writing one, and see if I encourage others to do the same. If that works, I'll have a go with somebody else.


Wish me luck.

Articles by benjaminpmoore Archive

benjaminpmoore

06.05.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87937267

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more