Sorry!

2 Conversations

Sorry!

Sorry by Freewayriding

I grew up on trashy horror movies, pulp sci-fi, and comic book gore, so I was expecting the End of the World to be, well, a little more exciting maybe?

Zombie Apocalypse! Sounds bloody scary, right?

Boooooring!

Hours and hours of TV news loops, Houses of Parliament playing verbal volleyball, blaming everyone from the last Liberal government to those sneaky Russians for the slow, inexorable Extinction of Humankind.

The Yanks were a little (not much) more animated, Pres tweeting wildly about Canadian bacon causing 'minor' illnesses, reports of flesh eating undead here in Washington, fake news, real fake, I know the undead, good people, great Americans…..

He was actually almost right. Not about bacon, but the flesh-eating bit.

Herds of dearly departed were indeed milling around DC, and London, and Moscow - you get the idea, the world was screwed!

But no flesh eating, not even a nibble, the zombies (and that's like calling a kitten a man-eating sabre-toothed tiger) simply milled about in herds, touching people's shoulders, in a polite but unnervingly rotten fleshed way, whispering "Sorry!"

Unfortunately, that rotten touch spread some kind of germ, bug, cootie, pathogen, (insert scientific term for immediate flesh rotting death, followed by resurrection with a propensity to apologise here), no cure. Dead. Game over. Global mass Extinction with that Hallmark touch.

'Sorry to hear you're dead, would you like to join us for a bit of milling about and a lot of apologising?'

The last of us exist in small groups, heavily padded shoulders, and ears defended at all times. Some continue to work towards a cure, others simply accept the apologetic touch and join the herds.

In truth, I'm bored to death with Armageddon, bored with the whole debate on TV, bored with the 24hour images of milling and apologising.

Think I'll go out for a walk.

'Sorry!'

Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

21.10.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87952701

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more