The h2g2 Post: 17.02.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 17th February 2020

WHAT WE SAW

The World Through Snow by Dmitri Gheorgheni That's what I saw the other day out the Post Office window. The Groundhog has a peculiar idea of early spring: it will snow deep drifts one day, then warm up and melt in the rain the next. The farmer folk just hope it stays cold long enough to kill the bugs, and the rest of us enjoy the show, as long as we have a day or two to get out to the store. So it goes.

The world is a strange and wonderful place, according to our contributors. Look what they've found: exotic wildflowers, spooky stalactites, overgrown archaeology, and poems in unusual places. There's plenty to puzzle over here, too – just what is that digital readout trying to tell me, and do I want to know? Should we really be listening to 'Eve of Destruction' right about now, or should I just shrug it all off and head for the cinema?


Snow-covered bushes
Lots of Cool Stuff in this week's issue:

  • A photo to caption. A picture quiz to mull over. (Bet you make it three in a row, FWR!) Jokes to chuckle about.
  • Ongoing stories in graphic form. Note: This week marks the end of SashaQ's series on 'Career Curiosities', at least for right now. We congratulate Sasha on achieving a worklife that is less stressful, albeit also less productive of cartoon humour. Stop by and join in the virtual champagne party. And thanks for sharing, Sasha!
  • Black-and-white photography of extreme awesomeness. You won't look at the world the same way after our photographers get through with you.
  • The odd (very odd) 'think piece' about Life, the Universe, and Everything. Also cinema. Also Medium Leslie. Apocalyptic irony, anyone?

Please read and comment. Have your own thoughts, and post them to the Post. Remember the Create challenge: explain our familiar strangeness to an alien today. Have a great week!


Quote of the Week:   They [the announcers] will tell you who will attend, who designed the crowns of the Debütantinnen, who will sing in the show, what kinds of floral decorations they have, who sits in which Loge and everything else a person from the 19th Century is interested in.

Tavaron, describing Vienna's Opernball




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



Create February 2020 by Freewayriding
February Create Challenge:
Stranger in a Familiar Land
Be a Tour Guide to the Domestically Strange!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

WHAT THE WORLD LOOKS LIKE

WHAT MAKES US LAUGH


SEEN IN BLACK AND WHITE


Stalactites

Stalactites by Tavaron


WHAT GOES ON IN OUR HEADS




Video
Eve of Destruction
WHAT MADE US WONDER
STORYLINES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87957995

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more