h2g2 Recipe: Stuffed Peppers

1 Conversation

Once you've seen the picture, you'll demand the recipe, as we did. Here it is!

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed peppers

Makes six.

Ingredients:

  • 6 peppers. (Bell pepper/capsicum)
  • 2 cups long grain rice
  • 1 large red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 stick celery, finely chopped
  • 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 6 mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 1 glass dry white wine
  • 3 litres veg stock
  • 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
  • 1 chopped chilli pepper (Optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:

  • Preheat oven to 190°C (=375F).
  • Cut the tops off six peppers. Cut out seeds and white inner pith.
  • Sprinkle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast upside down for 10 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
  • Meanwhile, add remaining olive oil to a large, medium heated, frying pan, add finely chopped onion, celery, mushrooms and crushed garlic. Stir fry until onion softened.
  • Add chopped chilli and tomatoes and cook for further three minutes until tomatoes begin to break down.
  • Add rice and stir until all grains are well coated.
  • Add white wine and allow to boil for two minutes to evaporate alcohol.
  • Stir in tomato puree and half the stock. Add herbs and reduce heat to simmer.
  • As stock reduces, top up with remaining stock (reserving a cup) until rice has absorbed most of the liquid and is almost cooked through. Season to taste.
  • Remove from heat and scoop into cooked peppers.
  • Place stuffed peppers into an ovenproof dish and put pepper tops on. Season outside of peppers.
  • Pour the remaining cup of stock into the base of the dish and return to the oven for 20- 25 minutes. Peppers should be softened and have a visible charring to skin.
  • Remove and serve with a Greek salad or sliced meats.

Also delicious cold as a lunchtime treat.

Stuffed peppers
Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

23.03.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87975832

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more