Freewayriding Investigates: The King of Liverpool

1 Conversation

Freewayriding Investigates: The King of Liverpool

Pride, The King, and Spooky Goings On

Haunted Building in Liverpool by FWR

Of the many reportedly haunted places in Liverpool, Victoria Street boasts a bar with not one, but two, residing spirits.

The Lisbon Bar and Grill, part of the Grade II listed Lisbon Buildings (built 1882), is home to a photo-bombing young female ghost, and the rather illustrious gentleman who once earned the title 'The King of Liverpool’.

Posing with Pride

The Lisbon has a long history with the LGBT community in Liverpool. From sailors hanging out in the secrecy of the 1950's, to being a favourite venue for a drink during today’s Liverpool Pride, the pub has always been one of the most well- known 'secrets' in the city.

However flamboyant the clientele, in July 2015, the revellers at Pride got a shock when photos of the merriment were developed. There, in the picture, was the unmistakable outline of a young lady, ghostly faint, and certainly no one known to the group of local actors who were in the shot.

The photo caused quite a stir in the local papers and led to paranormal researcher and writer, Tom Slemen, taking up the investigation into the apparent apparition. The young lady was reportedly a frequent sight in the street and bar, but no one could identify her.

The King of Liverpool.

The other phantom was much more famous.

Sir Archibald Tutton James Salvidge, KBE PC was born on the Cheshire side of the River Mersey in 1863. He died in December 1928, after becoming Alderman of Liverpool, Leader of the City Council, but aspiring to much higher standing.

Salvidge was a staunch Tory and an even stauncher Protestant. Using the religious sectarianism present in Liverpool at that time, he enlisted large sections of the Irish immigrant population into the Working Men’s Conservative Association to bolster Conservative political dominance in the city, fighting Irish Home Rule and earning him the nickname "the King of Liverpool".

He had big plans for the city, improving transport links to Cheshire and Lancashire via a proposed bridge (or tunnel) for trains, trams and even automobiles across (or under) the Mersey.

He rose through the Council and District political ranks, and intended to keep rising. But in 1907, an odd occurrence caused a stir in Liverpool circles.

In an article in the 'Liverpool Echo', Tom Slemen writes:

…whilst enjoying a meal and drink at the Lisbon Restaurant & Public House one evening, Salvidge suddenly rose at the head of the table and announced that he was not only going to run for Mayor ….


A prominent major and several magnates rose from the table and gave a toast – and the fire in the room suddenly flared up, throwing cinders all over the carpet. Salvidge seemed very nervous at this and later said perhaps it was an omen that he should not have political ambitions, but his influential friends said he was just being superstitious and backed his ambitions.


A month later in the Lisbon, another toast was given to Archibald Salvidge’' political campaigns, and all or a sudden, three words written in what looked like blood appeared on the wall near the fireplace: Tell Them Archie.


Salvidge backed out of the mayoral campaign the same night; since his death in 1928, his ghost has reportedly been seen many times in the Lisbon, along with the young woman.

Seagulls or Spectres?

Salvidge did live to see his dream of integrated transport become reality, overseeing the design and construction of the Mersey Tunnel at Queensway, being at the final dig some 150 feet beneath the river, meeting the King and Queen at the grand opening, he was certainly hands on, the Birkenhead entrance still (2020) bears his image on a plaque set into the art deco stonework of what remains of the old office buildings.

PlaquePlaquePlaque

He was given a grand funeral in 1928, with moving picture film crews from Pathé News capturing the crowds.

Despite his death, however, the King of Liverpool does not appear to be retiring any time soon.

Rumours of a smartly dressed gentleman appearing around the offices, loud shouts in the night, lights flickering on and off, and the sound of heavy furniture being moved around
in empty rooms have been whispered by workers at the tunnel for years. Staff have reported the air being freezing cold, despite the heating being on or the warm outside summer temperatures. Some apparently will not even venture into certain rooms.

Spooky building in twilight

The unexplained noises and 'shouting’ can be passed off as a product of the many large and noisy seagulls inhabiting the building’s rooftops.

Given the age and nature of the site, draughts and creaking structures may very well be a natural phenomenon.

No link has been established between Salvidge and the mysterious young lady, theories of illicit liaisons in the club; some believe Salvidge was an owner of the bar and was having an affair with the hired help, others that some dark secret was discovered by the girl continue to circulate.

Was she the one writing 'Tell them Archie”? Tell them what? Why was this so big a deal he forwent the opportunity of running for Prime Minister? Was the girl murdered? Does Salvidge spent his evenings at the bar or working in his old offices?

Or is it just the by-product of gay abandon and very noisy seagulls?

The mystery remains.

Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

22.06.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87988018

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more