The h2g2 Post 01.05.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 1st May 2023

Im wunderschönen Monat Mai

A river scene in spring, by Paigetheoracle.

Happy May Day. Do you find yourself wanting to burst into song? Or fall in love? Then you're probably a young adult. Kids have better things to do, and the rest of us are too old and grumpy. But you do you. Whether you get all poetic, run around photographing every flower and bird in sight, or just sit and philosophise beside the scenery, we wish you the best of the season.

Why did I pick the German language to talk about May? Because I, your Editor, associate May Day surprises with Germany. I'll never forget the day the Bonn 'youth' and their leaders dragged me out of bed at 4:30 in the morning and forced marched me up hill and down dale in the direction of Königswinter, singing all the way. It made my head hurt. But then we came over the last hill.

The sun rose – and I gasped. Everything had blossomed overnight.

I am not making this up: somehow the Germans had got everything to bloom on schedule. And they took it for granted.

May Day isn't a thing here in the US. People are too afraid somebody might mention Lenin, even though if they did everybody else would say, 'who?' and the kids would think it was some new hip-hop performer. So, if you're celebrating the first of May, or going Maying, or indulging in sappy seasonal folk songs, enjoy it with our blessings and please send a photo or video clip our way.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the equator (we are fully committed to our round planet), Willem is still busy finding plants, counting birds, and filling orders for paintings. But never fear: we have backlog to reintroduce. So you get a two-part photoessay this week that's full of exotic plants and fun facts from South Africa. If you've seen it before it's time to revisit, and for some, it will be new.

Continuing the international wildlife discussion, Paigetheoracle and I have an argument about toads. It's a really deep exchange which you won't want to miss. Meanwhile, FWR has found a place where dinosaurs and kids meet and mingle. (There are also scary rides.)

Yes, we spend an inordinate amount of time enjoying nature in this issue. That's what nature's there for, to enjoy. But we've also got humour, and comics, and cinema, and fiction – lots of fiction, from a short-short story by FWR to the latest chapters of our ongoing marathon novellas. Just how many robots are there in Paul's tale? Did that woman really turn into a lizard? What happened to Katastropolis? These and more mysteries will ravel and unravel before your wondering eyes. And oh, yeah, there's a whale in mine.

So read, enjoy, leave comments (hopefully cogent ones). And think about the new Create theme: when has time stood still for you? Have a great week and remember: those bees are busy working. Appreciate, but do not heckle them.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: In preparation for Volcano Preparedness Month, let’s review common taunts you should avoid:


- poking the volcano and saying, 'do something.'

- 'sure you were big in the 80s, so were waterbeds'

- 'yo mama was a big butte'


– Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources on Twitter
Clock face from inside, by Carol M Highsmith.


May 2023 Create Challenge:
When Time Stood Still


Video Extra:
A Carpenter Bee Discovers
a Dandelion
Click here in Ripley


NATURE WALKS
Toad Discourse

Common toad in water by Paigetheoracle.

OUR MINDS AT WORK


FLOWER SHOW


Blossoms in Rain

Cherry Blossoms in Rain by FWR.


HORIZONS




A Very Short Story
Empty computers seen through glass, by Carol M Highsmith.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88021578

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more