Colours of Wildlife: Back to the Leolo Mountains

1 Conversation

Back to the Leolo Mountains

All these photos were taken during a trip I had with Ruan and Bafokeng Stander, to the Leolo Mountains. There you see a photo of the three of us, armed against the cold morning mountain air! Ruan took the photo.

Leolo Trio by Ruan.Dragon Lizard by Ruan.
Three Explorers
Yes, it's called 'smaug.'
Get over yourself.
Lyrgodactylus punctatus by Ruan.Pachydactylus affinis by Ruan.
Black-spotted
Dwarf Gecko
Transvaal Gecko

Ruan also took the close-up reptile photos of the Dragon Lizard, Smaug warreni; the Black-spotted Dwarf Gecko, Lygodactylus nigropunctatus; the Transvaal Gecko, Pachydactylus affinis; the Spotted Rock Snake, Alopecion guttatum, and the Sekhukhune Flat Lizard, Platysaurus orientalis. The other photos are mine.

Spotted rock snake by Ruan.Sekhukhune Flat Lizard by Ruan.
Spotted Rock Snake
Sekhukhune Flat Lizard

These are all rock-living reptiles. Up in the mountains, they experience extremes of weather: scorching heat in summer, freezing cold at night in spring, autumn and winter; alternating heavy rains and dry periods. All of these make use of cracks in the rocks. Deep inside these, conditions are much milder and less extreme. The flat lizards are 'squashable' and can retreat deep into even very narrow cracks. As you can see here, this male is not happy at being caught!

Attached by Willem.
Attached!

This is like adding injury to insult after making Ruan work so hard to snag it.

Ruan herping by Willem.
Ruan Herping

It should actually worry about the rock snake more. This snake lives in the same cracks and crevices, and eats its lizard neighbours! It's totally harmless to humans (I think even less than that flat lizard - it made no attempt to bite us).

Sekhukhune locusts by Willem.Golden Everlasting by Willem.
Sekhukhune Locusts
Golden Everlasting

There's also a friendly couple of locusts. These look like nymphs, since they don't have fully developed wings. Their bright colours and lazy behaviour indicate that they're poisonous.

There's a photo of a golden Everlasting, a Helichrysum-species. These hardy daisies are abundant in the high mountains, being extremely cold-resistant. Their name comes from their flowerheads that are very long-lasting; they can dry out without losing their colour and shape.

Red Leaves by Willem.Ruan and rocks by Willem.
Scolopia?
Ruan Exploring

I show some handsome red leaves on a shrubby tree ... not sure if these bright colours are older autumn leaves or fresh new ones. I think it is a species of thorn pear, Scolopia.

Then there are some landscape shots, showing the hill right next to our camp, Ruan exploring the summit and climbing around some huge rocks, and a view over the Leolo range, towards the Strydpoort Mountains.

Leolo summit by Willem.Leolo View by Willem.
Leolo Summit
Leolo View
Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

08.05.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88027112

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more