The h2g2 Post 31.07.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 31st July 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue, titled Here's Looking at You: Observations of a Small Planet. A stone lion of noble aspect, a fisheye image of a VW beetle under an ambiguous sign that says 'Gare', a blackbird giving us the glad eye, a painting of a white-starred robin, red-and-yellow lilies, a cat with a mouse in its mouth, sideways to its right (on the side text) a crested partridge, to the left of the cat a sign, Out of Respect Please Stay Off, a baptismal font in a Gothic church, the courtyard of a synagogue, and marching past the sign, the font, and the synagogue, one-and-a-half rhinoceroses. It's quite a panoply this week.

I hope you've noticed that the Pliny Front Page is back in all its glory. There is much rejoicing among the Editors. Which is funny because now we have to work harder to bring you all that front-page copy. Oh, well. I don't mind. If you'll notice, you have some links to Stuff from this issue as well as a new creative challenge from the Post. I decided to try and thwart the Usual Suspects with this one. When we rack our brains for prompts for essays, everybody just talks about what they always talk about. You ask about the road not taken and you get another gardening or cooking discussion. You ask, 'What was your most thrilling moment?' and somebody writes back, 'The day my dahlia won a prize/When I discovered this great recipe...' O-kay, flowerpot and stockpot fans, here's a challenge: try to turn this prompt into a gardening column or recipe. I double-dog dare you (and yes, I know I will live to regret it).

Meanwhile, as they say, we have wonderful things for you to admire, mull over, and comment upon.

Awix has promised to watch Barbenheimer. I don't want to sit in a cinema, so I'm looking forward to it. Also, I'm allergic to pink and have been seeing atom bombs in my sleep since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

We have BIRDS. Also a cat, doing cat stuff, with FWR arguing with it. And some rhinos. I found a hippopotamus. It's ceramic and 4000 years old and represents something dangerous in the Afterlife. I have Opinions about it.

Speaking of opinions, you may have some about our fiction. At least, we hope you're reading it. These are Works In Progress, people. Okay, three of them are still 'in progress'. You can read the latest chapters in this issue. The other three are finished works of art. You can read them by clicking on the archive below. Speaking of works in progress, there's always something going on in Bluebottle's comic. Check out this week's action. We can't describe these things to you. You have to read them for yourselves. As Charles Ives famously said (almost), 'Stand up and take your dissonance like a sentient creature.'

Is that enough? In a word: no. We've got surprising photos from all over. We have intriguing signs. We have a caption challenge and a photo quiz and requests for your input all over the place. And oh, yeah, humour. Yes, that's what it is. See Charles Ives comment above.

Find out what's blooming in Tavaron's garden. And how Superfrenchie experienced Bastille Day this year. And, on this very page, what happens to the River Alness (or Averon) during a heavy rainfall. Learn about the white-barred robin, which I'll bet you've never heard of before. I certainly hadn't.

So go exploring. Leave comments, join conversations. And remember to take your cameras with you as you roam the planet this week. Send us your photos, videos, notes. Broaden our horizons.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Had a conversation about Oppenheimer at a wedding this weekend with someone who didn't know who he was, and then got mad at me for spoiling the ending of the movie.

– Emma Salisbury on what we still insist on calling 'Twitter'.
A refined lady playing the piano.


August 2023 Post Challenge:
A Piano Mystery


Video Extra:
Thunderstorm on the Alness
by Paigetheoracle
Click here in Ripley


BABY, IT'S A WILD WORLD
White-Starred Robin

White-Starred Robin by Willem.

INSIDE OUR HEADS (LOOK OUT)

A Barbie doll and J Robert Oppenheimer against the backdrop of a pink mushroom cloud

  • Video
  • Hummingbird visitor.

  • Deep Thought
  • The road taken, but what
    language was that sign in?


AROUND AND ABOUT


It's a Sign

Sign at a war memorial with steps cordoned off saying Out of Respect, Please Stay Off. Photo by DG.


AROUND THE WORLD MISCELLANY




Vampire Hangout
Spooky Hungarian castle in black and white, by FWR
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88028247

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more