Green Tomato Chutney

1 Conversation

Green Tomato Chutney

Green tomato chutney.

After a few years of sadly ripping up my unripened tomato plants at the end of the season, consigning dozens of green 'inedible' fruits to the compost heap, I discovered a very simple recipe for green tomato chutney.

With a few personal tweaks, this tasty, and very easy, recipe means no more wasting those poor old unripened toms!

Green unripened tomatoes are firmer and tangier than red fully ripe fruit and are not to be confused (as I was) with varieties that remain green throughout their growing season.

(For my American friends, OK, I know you've been using them for ages, well done you!)

Anyway:

Easy Green Tomato Chutney

  • 10 unripened tomatoes.
  • 3 medium onions.
  • 1 green eating apple.
  • 4 cloves garlic.
  • 1 chilli pepper.
  • 1tsp chilli flakes.
  • 1 inch piece ginger.
  • 1 cup white wine vinegar.
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar.
  • Salt and black pepper to season.

Roughly chop all ingredients.

Place everything into a heavy pot and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to a sticky brown chutney, stirring frequently to avoid catching. (This may take up to an hour so be patient!)

That's it! Simple, eh?

Makes about a jar, and can be stored in the fridge for 4 or 5 days. (Larger amounts can be stored in sterilised containers and will keep much longer.)

Serve with cooked meats, bread and cheese, or warm as a side dish with steak. Lovely as a dip for veggies. You can even marinade chicken wings in this recipe.

Try adapting the ingredients to suit your own tastes and stop throwing those unripened tomatoes away!

FWR Archive

FWR

09.10.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88037733

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more