The h2g2 Post 30.10.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 30th October 2023

This week's title is In All Weathers. Clockwise from upper left: A spectacular sunset over Cleethorpes, UK, a giant fuzzy sun rising over an Austrian landscape, fingers on piano keys, a sword wedged between Scottish stones, some cows giving the photographer penetrating looks, a Pictish cross on an upright slab in northern Scotland, a road curving around a wooded bend, the Aurora Borealis in the night sky over a UK town, and a sundog in a partially cloudy sky.

We have beauty to share with you this week. Beauty in the skies: wherever we went, the sun did amazing things, or the night sky lit up. I'm sorry: Pennsylvania let the team down by raining heavily all through the solar eclipse, but SashaQ makes up for it by showing us the aurora borealis. There's a sundog and a sunset and even some really interesting fog.

I made music. Willem painted a bird. Tavaron's husband built a nesting box for the zebra finches. The budgies made more budgies. We have video. In short, we've been busy.

SashaQ has had adventures with cows and a very pretty rat. Paige the Suzy Q Oracle has been out and about in the far north and seen some things. We present them to you. Let us know if you're as puzzled as we are. It's quite a virtual trip.

The spooky season is upon us: while you're getting ready for trick-or-treat or readying your pyrotechnics, you'll want to catch up with Bluebottle's tale of vampires under the National Health System. It's both timely and timeless. Meanwhile, a seasonal tale arrived at the Post Office buried under a pile of crumbling sheet music. Find out the thrilling origin story of 'The Devil's Sonata'.

Read the cinema review (and sound clever at parties). Try the quiz. Caption a photo. Keep your brain in trim – you might need it for something.

Have a grand week out there. And leave some candy for the kids, don't eat it all.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. I was once trapped in a sentence by William Faulkner for over 30 minutes.

– Philosopher King, Oracle on Twitter
Tombstone and trees.


October 2023 Post Challenge:
Tales to Make You Shiver


Video Extra:
Fireworks on the Wirral
Click here in Ripley


BEAUTY
White-Throated Robin Chat

White-throated robin chat by Willem.

THOUGHTS

ANIMALS DOING UNUSUAL THINGS

The Baby Budgie Experience
(Video)

Hand holding baby budgies by Tavaron.


SIGHTSEEING




A Virtual Visit
to Cadboll Chapel Site

A Pictish cross, by Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
DRINKING IN THE STRANGENESS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1Who am I kidding? This is a vampire story.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88037869

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more