Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing! Episode 18

1 Conversation

Mister President, Nebraska Is Missing!

Episode 18

Weasel walked over to the other computer and tried to bring up the telephone lookup software from Alternative Universe #521. All she got was a busy signal from the computer. That's odd, Weasel thought, I'm the only one in the apartment that has ever used this computer. For a moment she got the panicky feeling that Sprilznick and/or the android had been making unauthorized use of the machine, but this attack of anxiety ran its course quickly. Sprilznick was too lazy for such things, preferring to think of computers in terms of the games he could play on them. Besides, he had a huge IT department at his headquarters, staffed by people who could and usually did run any searches he wanted. He probably had equipment more advanced than what Weasel had. Weasel doubted that Sprilznick had an inkling of the depth of Weasel's databases, and it was best for everyone in the universe if this stayed the way it was. Besides, Kazoongabal had kept Sprilznick busy all morning at the other computer. If Sprilnick had even checked this computer, its lack of Kazoongaball software would have led him to dismiss it. Then Weasel's glance fell on the florgar vine that was growing along the wall. Why was there a pencil tangled in its tendrils?

Suddenly it all made sense! For some unfathomable reason, one of the florgars had tried to use Weasel's computer. Was it looking for dating software perhaps? Weasel made a mental note to try to acquire a couple of male florgars to keep them from being lonely. Whether intentionally or not, the part of the vine that was closest to the computer had beamed itself to another universe or dimension (or both). Weasel verified that the destination chosen had been Nebraska in Universe #521, Dimension 666. And the connection with those coordinates was still engaged.

Weasel took a pair of scissors from her desk drawer and snipped the vine in two. The florgar quickly retracted the unsevered part of its vine, pulling it back down the hall to the solarium. Weasel closed the connection to Nebraska, and was surprised to see Sprilznick and Spot materialize immediately on the platform in the corner. Sprilnick was clutching two dead ducks in his hand, and Spot was rubbing his forehead, where a nasty red bump was rising.

Post 2024 Writing Project Archive

Paulh

13.05.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88049442

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more