The BooKNooK

1 Conversation

Cryptonomicon
by Neal
Stephenson

WOW!!!!! I have had friends recommend this book for a while, I have seen the book in the stores, however I never got around to picking it up and reading it. Finally, in one of my frequent book buying frenzies, I bought Cryptonomicon, and now I am kicking
myself for waiting so long to read such a fantastic book. Neal Stephenson takes the relatively esoteric ideas of cryptanalysis and higher level mathematics and distils them into a novel of pure entertainment for both the tech geek and the individual looking for some good fictional escapism.

Cryptonomicon follows the lives of two men, two generations apart. Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse is an introverted math genius who starts working for the code breaking section of the allies during World War II. During his tenure he meets some incredible characters and has some fascinating adventures, all in the setting of 1942 - 1945 England and the South Pacific. Two generation later, Randy Waterhouse is a technical guru who is working with several hacker friends to build an incredible data storage facility called The Vault. Randy is the grandchild of Lawrence, and tends to meet many individuals whom his grandfather knew or had interactions with.

This book is almost 1,000 pages in length, but don't let the size intimidate you. This is one of the only books I have ever read that left me wanting more. When I reached the end cover, instead of feeling joy at finishing such a large book, I just wanted to know what happened to the characters whom I had started to understand and look forward to reading about. Neal Stephenson has done a fantastic job of creating believable characters that follow logical plot points.

In case you haven't picked up on it yet, BUY THIS BOOK, it's a fantastic read by a great author!


The BooK NooK Archive


Courtesy38

23.01.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A941069

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more