The h2g2 Post 02.06.14

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 2nd June 2014

June Is Bustin' Out

Frances Benjamin Johnston surrounded by curious children. It's June, folks. Summertime in the northern hemisphere of this planet. Cooler down south, where our antipodean friends are. Here, we're still rejoicing in flowers a-plenty. Some are in this issue, h2g2ers, for the enjoyment of. But even if you've explored the garden, don't put your cameras away. As Ms Frances Benjamin Johnston is here to remind you, there are still lots of moments to capture. And find in your archives, too: Ms Johnston was a pioneer photographer who left her collection to the Library of Congress, our go-to place for the past. You'll see another historical shutterbug in these pages, Carol M Highsmith, also a big contributor to the Library of Congress. Why do we mention this? Because, of course, the Create Challenge for June is to write about the 20th Century. And how better to illustrate that exotic century by looking through the world's photo albums? Let your google fingers do the walking, and get some glimpses of the past in all its glory and absurdity.

What do you remember about the 20th Century? Freewayriding starts us off with a story of his own. Let him inspire you. Speaking of inspiration, Willem wants to give you a writing prompt that will surely tickle your fancy and start your typing fingers twitching. Find it under 'Writing Right Special' here.

Art? Have we got art? Were there potatoes in the Garden of Eden? Actually, we're not sure, but our artists have been speculating about that – and some guy named Bellerophon, and a marshmallow roast…the aliens are viewing Kilimanjaro…let's face it, we're differently mentated around here.

Speaking of mental cases, Awix has been watching the X-Men again, and tells us about it. Occasionally, somebody around here throws in a sane note, so please read Ben's column. Otherwise, keep your balance as best you can. It's a wild ride, what with all the history and weirdness and beauty…especially those cool birds..

So enjoy. Leave a comment or two. And get to work on your next submission to the Post or Edited Guide.

And may the first week of June bring you good things!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

BEAUTY IN THE BUSHES
  • Longtailed Widowbird by Willem
  • .

  • Dog rose by Tavaron.


THE WONDROUS PAST

THE MYTHIC WORLD

  • Bellerophon's marshmallow roast.
  • Potatoes in Eden.

SHEER CREATIVITY

POINTS OF INTEREST
  • A worker applies an Amtrak logo.
  • .

FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87827791

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more